ROOIKAT 8X8 76mm Arm. Car

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

ROOIKAT 8X8 76mm Arm. Car

June 28th, 2012, 6:14 pm #1

After last week Rhino G 6 here is my scratchbuilt South African Rooikat 8X8 armoured car. I build it in 1993 to acompany the G 6 Rhino.

This time also some pictures of the templates used, the letter from the embassy, and the brochure that was sent by the Armscor factory sales department (later renamed Denel).

The drawing of the vehicle was rescanned by a friend to 1/76 and 1/72 size. It had to be 1/76 as a scratchbuild wheeled vehicle can only be made if you first have : the wheels.
The only ones in the sparebox that were acceptable size were the good old Airfix Scammel wheels and they fitted only the 1/76 plans.

The same friend also provided the color plate with S.A. army colors. Still I think the green could have been a little softer....yet repainting was no option...

A little base was made, together with a nameplate that emptied my study finance for the rest of the year.

Hope you all like it, regards, Alfred

June 28th, 2012, 6:20 pm #2

Great Stuff !
Where can I buy one ???
Cheers
R

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

June 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm #3

Well Rob, you buy a piece of plasticard, fix the drawing on top of it, cut out the parts, slap some Scammel wheels under it and put on some detail from the spares box (mainly ROCO parts) and yer -done.
Doesn 't cost much this way....
Alfred

June 28th, 2012, 7:08 pm #4

you did all this beautiful work and didn't make any copies...
:'-(

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

June 28th, 2012, 7:15 pm #5

I am sorry Rob, but making moulds and pooring resin has never been a skill of mine...
I have built a few masters for resin (the HK 605 / 606 for Denbels models) and found that to be very hard to do. It was like making a scratchbuild from inside out...
Alfred

June 28th, 2012, 11:04 pm #6

After last week Rhino G 6 here is my scratchbuilt South African Rooikat 8X8 armoured car. I build it in 1993 to acompany the G 6 Rhino.

This time also some pictures of the templates used, the letter from the embassy, and the brochure that was sent by the Armscor factory sales department (later renamed Denel).

The drawing of the vehicle was rescanned by a friend to 1/76 and 1/72 size. It had to be 1/76 as a scratchbuild wheeled vehicle can only be made if you first have : the wheels.
The only ones in the sparebox that were acceptable size were the good old Airfix Scammel wheels and they fitted only the 1/76 plans.

The same friend also provided the color plate with S.A. army colors. Still I think the green could have been a little softer....yet repainting was no option...

A little base was made, together with a nameplate that emptied my study finance for the rest of the year.

Hello Alfred

I like how the pictures tell the story of how you constructed the pieces to make this vehicle.

Very impressive work. I have kits from manufacturers (of other unrelated vehicles) that can't be built up half this good.

I'm guessing you don't do too many builds from Evergreen due to the time and concentration involved. Because you evidently have all the required skills.

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on June 28th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

June 29th, 2012, 8:39 am #7

is really nice to seen this type of work. The wheels of the original look like the LAv 25 wheels.

Do you know the Laser cut? maybee for the next proyects you can cut the parts using this method.

cheers.

June 29th, 2012, 2:08 pm #8

I am so envious of you having both these models in your collection. I wish someone would come out with them in kit form. You did am outstanding job on those; I would love to have them in my collection.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

June 29th, 2012, 4:53 pm #9

Thanks Mark. Don 't worry, I have seen a lot of models in your collection I 'd love to have, like the Gainfull, the Dora and your excellent armored train (s) .
Alfred

June 29th, 2012, 5:00 pm #10

Hello Alfred

I like how the pictures tell the story of how you constructed the pieces to make this vehicle.

Very impressive work. I have kits from manufacturers (of other unrelated vehicles) that can't be built up half this good.

I'm guessing you don't do too many builds from Evergreen due to the time and concentration involved. Because you evidently have all the required skills.

cheers
Neil
Thanks Neil, actually my last evergreen projects are the experimental GW VI (e) Pak 40 and the SdKfz 6 gepanzert mit Gebirgsflak 38... but those are basicly conversions. Scratchbuilds from the ground up are indeed a lot of work and planning and these days almost anything is available in resin.

I'd love to do a DANA SP 8X8 though...

Alfred