Rolling Thunder

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Rolling Thunder

June 7th, 2010, 1:10 pm #1

Hi guys,
Here is my latest diorama called "Rolling Thunder" after the bombing campaign of North Vietnam of the same name.
This diorama is sort of based on some archive picture I found in the Nam series from the 80's (issued at least in France and Great Britain). I have been putting the pic on my own website herehttp://www.cdiorama.com/index-6.html bottom of page.
Everything is scratchbuilt, still I have been buying the decals on the plane -though I painted them over afterwards.
Hope you like it
Nico

www.cdiorama.com
Last edited by tsushimaii on June 7th, 2010, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2010, 2:33 pm #2

Nicola,I have seen your sbs work in your site.I would admit that this is a piece of art,totally awesome and as I have mentioned there...
"The cold breath of death passed me by watching it."
Well done Nicola.

PS:I would like to thank you for posting it.
This gives exactly a powerful example of free art.
However there is a matter here.A simple question.
"What a Vietnamese person would think, say or react watching it?"
Of course don't expect any answer,this comment goes to mine vignette which turned upset the majority of viewers.
Sorry for the spam.
Regards and all the best,
Zisis

June 7th, 2010, 2:52 pm #3

Hi guys,
Here is my latest diorama called "Rolling Thunder" after the bombing campaign of North Vietnam of the same name.
This diorama is sort of based on some archive picture I found in the Nam series from the 80's (issued at least in France and Great Britain). I have been putting the pic on my own website herehttp://www.cdiorama.com/index-6.html bottom of page.
Everything is scratchbuilt, still I have been buying the decals on the plane -though I painted them over afterwards.
Hope you like it
Nico

www.cdiorama.com
...this kind of new ways of vignettes , paying special attention to the colors roll.
Jean-Bernard André has showed us same type of interpretations and I think that is fantastic to see more modellers doing similar stuff. From my personal point of view...I like what you made in this diorama, but I must advice you that this kind of risky works means that you MUST have a extra control of all techniques, more than an usual or classic modeller.

To create such kind of special effects with colors, giving dramatism and life to the history is something important, but is also very important to control the technique and take care of the real things.

Like an example....you missed totally the soak effect in the pilot uniform, and....understanding that the pilot is one of the most important points in the whole scene, the mistake become big.
Seems that you used less tiem for the figure and that you was too focus in the envoirements.

The reading path in you vignette start in the yellow red areas...continue around the cabine and finally finish in the figure, which is the climax of the history. Ok...until this point. An dthe history is great and very expresive.

But...if the water color is a reflection of a fired sky (smoke, explosions, napalm in the air), them, the same lights effects must affect to the cabin and the figure.

If the water colors is due fuel or other internal stuff from the jat, then, it must affect also to the cabin and uniform of the pilot (have you seen the pelikans and birds inside the petrol effects in a beach?

So...which one is the right history:

Sky reflection or water effects??

In both cases you missed the conection between the effects and the cabin and figure.

Well, I am sorry to be so hard, but risky and talented modellers deserve contructive opinion to continue improving and you have enought talent to fix these minor problems. So...go forward!

Of course, is not necxesary to say that I like so much your history and your creativity.

Please...CONTINUE this way!!! Don't stop!!!!!

MIG

June 7th, 2010, 5:58 pm #4

Hi guys,
Hope you like it
Nico

www.cdiorama.com
Some of us take a major offense at this "diorama."
Kenneth Daigle

June 7th, 2010, 6:39 pm #5

given another plane

I personally see a diorama as an expression of creativity, not as a political statement.

Last edited by Riccardo Facchini on June 7th, 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2010, 6:51 pm #6

Kenneth Daigle
Did you think the same about HBOs Pacific? lots of dead US soldiers in that.

Think before you type.

June 7th, 2010, 8:56 pm #7

Hi guys,
Hope you like it
Nico

www.cdiorama.com
An original piece very well done.
John

June 7th, 2010, 9:51 pm #8

Hi guys,
Hope you like it
Nico

www.cdiorama.com
Hello Nicolas

Once more a very unusual and original choice of subject, as we came to expect from you since you started showing your work here. Beautifully painted, love the water effects
Douze Points from Amsterdam!

Theo

Last edited by TheoBraat on June 7th, 2010, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2010, 10:02 pm #9

If all of us took offence to whatevers been show on Military Modelling site then we wouldnt have a hobby to enjoy !

Very creative and artistically done.

I also enjoyed viewing your site too I think you produce some excellent water effects and modelling skills.

Thanks
Andy

If you pull the Lion`s tail expect to get bitten

June 7th, 2010, 10:03 pm #10

Kenneth Daigle
Its only a piece of excellent modelling, and yes American pilots did die in the Vietnam war as in others. I think we are being a little over sensative here, as others have said,what would have been the difference had he done it as a Nth vietnamese pilot. Still tells the same sad story.
Last edited by specmod on June 7th, 2010, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.