Roll Models

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Roll Models

May 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm #1

Having trouble contacting them. I get a voice msg. asking me to make my order including my credit card number. That makes me nervous. Anyone order this way?

Stephen J. Pringle

May 24th, 2012, 1:11 pm #2

For 20 years. They are not a favorite of mine (glacially slow - it seems you order something and then they order it for you) but are legit. I have always ordered via their web site so I don't know about calaling them. The last time I placed an order from them was, perhaps, 2 years back. You might ask on www.hyperscale.com on the Plane forum as Roll is well known there.
DAVID NICKELS

May 24th, 2012, 3:24 pm #3

Having trouble contacting them. I get a voice msg. asking me to make my order including my credit card number. That makes me nervous. Anyone order this way?

Stephen J. Pringle
They are legit and usually come through with your order.
They sell at a discount, sometimes a pretty good savings for you but the investment you make is time.

You already discovered one way they keep costs down, minimal customer interaction. I never, ever got a live human on their phone back when I did order from them. You also know how they do business--they list most everything and when you order it, they'll order it. You usually will never know if you'll actually receive your product until it arrives.

So, if you want something, but don't need it anytime soon, you might save a buck if they can get it.

But this post begs the question" IF Sprue Brothers stocks it, why bother going anyplace else? If you're in the US, and you need it now but SB doesn't stock it, go Squadron. Pretty much, Roll Models no longer serves any purpose.

I bought from their earlier, 1980s incarnation in the real mail order days & they were reliable then and now, but in today's instant service environment, they still function at a 1980s 1st class mail pace. You can buy direct from Europe and still receive your order much faster, especialy from Hannants, Blast & Rebell or Firestorm.

May 24th, 2012, 6:52 pm #4

Back in the 80s they were Battle Hobbies and had a catalogue as big as Squadron's. You could send them a check and get your stuff in about 7 to 10 days. APC Hobbies was another good shop back then. I think the last two times I ordered from Roll (hard to get photo etch set and some imported paint) it took about a month to six weeks each time.
DAVID NICKELS

May 25th, 2012, 12:05 am #5

...loose leaf pages you'd insert into a binder.

Charlie Pace of APC Hobbies sort of retired and primarily just does shows in the mid-Atlantic region. Great guy, he'll still do mail order if you reach him.

May 26th, 2012, 5:29 pm #6

Stephen J. Pringle
Being your in MN, if they have it in stock, you will get it in a normal time frame. I've only ordered from them several times, two took about a month and the last was a book that only took several days.
SY

May 26th, 2012, 9:54 pm #7

Stephen J. Pringle
Been around for a long time too. just dont be in a hurry,
The fine print even states orders ship out 2-3 weeks AFTER they are placed
even if the stuff is in stock it will take a while..
I have only ordered from them 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years but now that SB bought out GMW they will get a few more ordrs from me.

The Big Bang Theory, watch it you'll laugh your arse off!!