road surfaces in NW europe

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

road surfaces in NW europe

david a.kimbrell
david a.kimbrell

November 12th, 2001, 3:21 am #1

I am looking for info on the types of road surfaces used in Europe durinf WWII.
Were they concrete, asphalt, sand and tar, etc. I know some must have been dirt, but based on pictures, some of the back roads look like they ahve some form of paving.

Dak

Ed Gilbert
Ed Gilbert

November 12th, 2001, 4:59 am #2

I seem to recall that at that period, primary roads outside of the old urban areas were tarmac - what the Amaericans call asphalt. Concrete was the material of the future, used only on the ultra-modern German autobahns.

November 12th, 2001, 5:52 am #3

Were they concrete, asphalt, sand and tar, etc. I know some must have been dirt, but based on pictures, some of the back roads look like they ahve some form of paving.

Dak
In many areas in Northern France and Southern Belgium you'd find cobblestones, made from a dark grey basalt type of rock. Due to wear and tear the upper surfaces tended to become polished and more or less glossy.
More Northern areas show extensive use of bricks for road surface, usually a dark red/brown stone color.
I made photographs of the latter and will post them on my website soon.
hth
Rob

Iwailo Tzenow
Iwailo Tzenow

November 12th, 2001, 8:21 am #4

Dak
In Germany they used also rough (greyish) cobblestone roads with 2 or 3 inserted tracks of smooth (dark) surfaced cobblestones to offer a smooth ride on minor roads while saving money during construction.

HTH - Iwailo

Ben
Ben

November 16th, 2001, 12:56 am #5

Dak
How were the roads there, because in some pictures ive seen the outta suburbs were dirt, but the inner streets were all cobbles? Can anyone finalise that?

Cheers
Ben