Rivets?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Rivets?

June 9th, 2006, 12:24 am #1

I know how to make them (Historex Punch and Die). I even know how to pick them up and put them on, but to my shock I can't seem to do it evenly.

I'm scratch building a blanking plate w/ 4 bolts on it (to cover NA-waffe) for a Stug 3G Late. According to my references the plate has 4 bolts configured in either a diamond or square like shape depending on the angle you are looking at it from. It's always slightly crooked no matter how many times I try to attach the bolts over and over again.

Am I retarded? I see scratch built models with very complex rivet work on them. Is there some trick to this I am overlooking? I figured I'd ask here before I smash the model against the ground!! =)

Any help would be appreciated,

Matt
Florida, USA

June 9th, 2006, 7:36 am #2

Us a circle template of the type employed by those draughtsmen who still use paper and pens instead of CAD (some modellers also use them as tyre masks). The circles are surrounded by four marks to enable them to be centred. Find the smallest hoel into which your blanking plate will fit and mark with a pencil or sharp point where the four marks are. Then place the bolt heads along those lines - you will need to eyeball the distance in from the edge but that is the easy part.

June 10th, 2006, 12:47 am #3

Robert:

Thanks, I jst bought the teplate today at Office Depot. I can already tell it's going to make it easier.

Matt