Rhodesian Medium Artillery Tractor and Gun

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Rhodesian Medium Artillery Tractor and Gun

April 24th, 2011, 1:05 am #1

Mid last year I posted some pictures of a scratchbuilt Rhodesian Army gun tractor designed to tow the 140mm (aka WWII era 5.5 inch guns) medium guns Rhodesia was loaned by South Africa during the 1970's bush war. See http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/me ... ry+Tractor

At the time I only had a 25 lbr for it to tow. Well I saved up my pennies and purchased the Accurate Armour resin kitset. I must admit it was the most frustrating kit I've ever built due to the vague locations of parts. In the kits defence having about a quater of the small detail parts break off the resin sprue during the postal trip to New Zealand and therefore loose their identity did not help. I still have a few unidentified gun parts left over.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

All in the combination looks the part but roll on an injection moulded kitset of the 5.5inch gun.

April 27th, 2011, 5:37 pm #2

Please divulge techniques and references for the Rhino. I'd heard of a resin kit for one years ago, but nothing in plastic. Are you listening Hobby Boss/ Dragon?

April 28th, 2011, 4:04 am #3

Thanks. It's not actually a Rhino. The Rhino is much smaller as it based on a long wheelbase Land Rover chassis. To the best of my knowledge the artillery tractor did not have an official name. It was based on a short wheelbase Mercedes Benz MB L2624 truck chassis and a modified Crocodile mine and ambush protected body.

I have a thread, including a rough scale drawing, on building it athttp://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=757

There are also several other threads on a variety of Rhodesian vehicles I've built on that forum.
Last edited by dcrfan on April 28th, 2011, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.