Revell Kanonenjagdpanzer

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Revell Kanonenjagdpanzer

January 3rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

An online search bought up an update set from Perfect Scale which featured new hull/fighting compartment front and top; does this mean the Revell kit is considered inaccurate in this area or does update just offer more details/open hatch options etc?

I have the Armorscale metal barrel and resin mantlet set for the Revell kit, was looking for individual tracks (again could only find a set from Perfect Scale?) but was hoping kit was otherwise accurate out of the box... anyone have any info?

January 3rd, 2012, 4:43 pm #2

I have the kit and updates at home, the perfect scale stuff is very nice and a lot more detailed. I believe it fixes some issues, let me take a closer look regarding accuracy.
the tracks are ok, but a bit scary to put together, the guide horns are very delicate. some of them have already broken in the bag. they should be repairable.
Ill take a pic of the new hull and the original part when i get home.
This will be on my bench soon, wish i had more info for you.

January 3rd, 2012, 6:52 pm #3

An online search bought up an update set from Perfect Scale which featured new hull/fighting compartment front and top; does this mean the Revell kit is considered inaccurate in this area or does update just offer more details/open hatch options etc?

I have the Armorscale metal barrel and resin mantlet set for the Revell kit, was looking for individual tracks (again could only find a set from Perfect Scale?) but was hoping kit was otherwise accurate out of the box... anyone have any info?
In fact the Revell kit presents some inaccuracies in the hatch area mainly. So the PSM part does fix some accuracy issues and features better details elsewhere.

Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/index.htm
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

January 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm #4

look forward to seeing the comparison shots Aaron

can the Armorscale barrel + mantlet still be used with the Perfect Scale update?
Last edited by partisan77 on January 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2012, 8:31 pm #5

I hope so! LOL!
I fell in love with this guy when i saw it, and kinda went all out on all the bits. it has been staring at me with puppy dog eyes from the shelf... maybe ill start it after my T-90

January 4th, 2012, 12:00 am #6

Hi Greg,

Revell's KaJaPa kit is a pain in the a....................!

Revell, for example had the impression, that for the TC cupola 6 EA periscopes should be sufficient! The original has 8 EA periscopes!
You cannot build the hatches of the Revell kit opened up!
The mounting for the searchlight is some sort of "crippled".
The road wheels look more then toys features.
The track is the worst peace of vinyl that I've ever had in my eyesight! Frankly this "vinyl snake" is a piece of s...................! This "vinyl snake" is exceeded only by the Tamiya ones for their M3/M5/TANK, LIGHT, GUN, 37-MM, and the M8 HMC. But these terrible Tamiya tracks are more than 35 years old!!!

Even Perfect Scale neglected some minor defaults, otherwise the price for their update kit would have skyrocketed, I assume!

Revell didn't have had in mind to please modelers. But, on the other hand, what do we expect of Revell in respect to military vehicles in 1:35?!?!

In my opinion, Revell is focused on clients at the shopping centers and is NOT interested in the serious modeler. The little boy stressing his mother in "demanding" the purchase of a tank, that's the sort of client, Revell is focused on!

Good kits marketed by Revell are either former Italeri kits, as the still very good M47, TANK, MEDIUM, GUN, 90-MM, or
former AFV Club, as the Scimitar, even the Scorpion has serious tweaks , as only the "Scimitars" engine deck is hinged and not bolted as the correct Scorpion one's should be and the Scorpion has three tube smoke grenade launchers and not four tube ones as the Scimitar has,
or former Esci kits, as the very good M60A1/M60A3 kits.

In my humble opinion; - if you want to assembly a KaJaPa that's as close as it should be to the original, you'll have no choice, but to buy the excellent Perfect Scale update kits!

Cheers

Hauke
Last edited by H.Krapf on January 4th, 2012, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2012, 4:40 pm #7

side by side:
[/IMG]

kit part:
[/IMG]

perfect scale:
[/IMG]

as you can see the perfect scale one is a substantial improvement!

Here is the mantlet and RPM barel:
[/IMG]
it fits the kit part perfectly

for the resin replacement its not so perfect:
[/IMG]
its a bit wobbly and loose in there, i need to drill out the resin hole a bit. I think it can be made to look right with some putty and sanding.

Perfect scale makes a resin barrel that I am sure is accurate and fits perfectly, but I already have the RPM barrel. Ill make it work

January 4th, 2012, 9:19 pm #8

Hi Greg,

Revell's KaJaPa kit is a pain in the a....................!

Revell, for example had the impression, that for the TC cupola 6 EA periscopes should be sufficient! The original has 8 EA periscopes!
You cannot build the hatches of the Revell kit opened up!
The mounting for the searchlight is some sort of "crippled".
The road wheels look more then toys features.
The track is the worst peace of vinyl that I've ever had in my eyesight! Frankly this "vinyl snake" is a piece of s...................! This "vinyl snake" is exceeded only by the Tamiya ones for their M3/M5/TANK, LIGHT, GUN, 37-MM, and the M8 HMC. But these terrible Tamiya tracks are more than 35 years old!!!

Even Perfect Scale neglected some minor defaults, otherwise the price for their update kit would have skyrocketed, I assume!

Revell didn't have had in mind to please modelers. But, on the other hand, what do we expect of Revell in respect to military vehicles in 1:35?!?!

In my opinion, Revell is focused on clients at the shopping centers and is NOT interested in the serious modeler. The little boy stressing his mother in "demanding" the purchase of a tank, that's the sort of client, Revell is focused on!

Good kits marketed by Revell are either former Italeri kits, as the still very good M47, TANK, MEDIUM, GUN, 90-MM, or
former AFV Club, as the Scimitar, even the Scorpion has serious tweaks , as only the "Scimitars" engine deck is hinged and not bolted as the correct Scorpion one's should be and the Scorpion has three tube smoke grenade launchers and not four tube ones as the Scimitar has,
or former Esci kits, as the very good M60A1/M60A3 kits.

In my humble opinion; - if you want to assembly a KaJaPa that's as close as it should be to the original, you'll have no choice, but to buy the excellent Perfect Scale update kits!

Cheers

Hauke
Sorry, I have to disagree with your assessment of the AFV Club/Revell Scorpion kit.

-Three-barrel smoke dischargers are accurate for many Scorpions.

-The engine deck is accurate for late production Scorpions including those used by the RAF Regiment and some overseas users.

Now I agree that most British Army Scorpions had a different (bolted) deck but that's a long way from suggesting that the kit is fundamentally wrong.

Regards,
John

January 5th, 2012, 12:57 am #9

John,

you are absolutely right!

I should have added: "If you want to represent an EARLY CVR(T) Scorpion, than you have to change the engine deck to a bolted configuration and the smoke discharger to a three-barrel one.

You are right! The AFV Club CVR(T) Scorpion is a good kit with potential, if you know your book!

By the way - there had been a company called CASTOFF from Scotland. They offered an upper hull for the CVR(T) Scorpion with the bolted enginbe deck and other goodies like a Chieftain turret with Stillbrew! What happened to them; somehow they disappeared!

Cheers

Hauke

January 5th, 2012, 3:17 am #10

Looks like they are alive and kicking...

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... =1#1563245