Revel Sdkfz 7

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Revel Sdkfz 7

June 26th, 2012, 4:25 pm #1

Just read Pauls posting but could not respond on his post so here goes! I dont want to upset anyone but it gives the kit dimensions as 96mm long. Sorry lads but the Airfix kit is also 96mm long so what is going on? Airfix is supposed to be 1.76 and the Revel kit is supposed to be 1.72. For me its not a problem as iv still got loads of Airfix kits.

June 26th, 2012, 5:03 pm #2

Wikipedia lists the SdKfz 7 as having a length of 6.85m.

By my calculations, a 1/72 scale model should come in at 95.1mm in length. So the Revell kit appears to be slightly bigger than 1/72 in this dimension.

I'll be buying a few also. From the downloadable instructions from the revell website, looks like it won't take too much effort to cross-hatch this with the hasegawa sdkfz 7/1 and 7/2 kits.

Q

June 26th, 2012, 8:01 pm #3

Just read Pauls posting but could not respond on his post so here goes! I dont want to upset anyone but it gives the kit dimensions as 96mm long. Sorry lads but the Airfix kit is also 96mm long so what is going on? Airfix is supposed to be 1.76 and the Revel kit is supposed to be 1.72. For me its not a problem as iv still got loads of Airfix kits.
...the existing Sd.Kfz.7 kits in our scale, after holding the Revell kit in my hands, I must say; this is the best and correctest existing Sd.kfz.7 kit in Braille scale (diecast versions included)!
I'm scrapping my Airfix, Hasegawa and SHQ Sd.Kfz. 7 kits, which I spent many hours to build paint and detail, in favour of this new beauty!
Kaya Saydas

June 26th, 2012, 8:29 pm #4

Dave,
I have no idea how you measured your Airfix Sd Kfz 7 but rumor has it from years it is undersized even for 1/76. So I decided to measure mine, just did it and the result is about 87 mm length overall (maybe even a bit less). This means what I have here is about 1/79 scale.
The scale apart, I think this veteran is still better than the Revell newcomer is. The Revell outer road wheels are real disappointment. Also, I think it simply isn't serious for a mainstream manufacturer to include straight tracks and to suggest use of hot water to bend them.
BTW, I wonder from years is the most popular German 8-ton halftrack really cursed, talking about small scales?

June 26th, 2012, 9:41 pm #5

I agree that, coming from a company who has brought us a fabulous SdKfz9, this SdKfz7 might be a disappointment. In my opinion, it looks like a toy, from the front wheels to the plastic tracks, besides that basic running gear. After market companies will probably get into this but, with Revell's current prices, I'll stick to the old Hasegawa and Airfix kits. It was a wasted opportunity to capitalize on a long sought after kit.

-------------------------------------
Regards,

Francisco Bexiga

http://fbminis.blogspot.com/
http://fbminisworkbench.blogspot.com/

June 26th, 2012, 9:45 pm #6

Dave,
I have no idea how you measured your Airfix Sd Kfz 7 but rumor has it from years it is undersized even for 1/76. So I decided to measure mine, just did it and the result is about 87 mm length overall (maybe even a bit less). This means what I have here is about 1/79 scale.
The scale apart, I think this veteran is still better than the Revell newcomer is. The Revell outer road wheels are real disappointment. Also, I think it simply isn't serious for a mainstream manufacturer to include straight tracks and to suggest use of hot water to bend them.
BTW, I wonder from years is the most popular German 8-ton halftrack really cursed, talking about small scales?
Actually this is not PURE Revell, the kit design comes from MACO.

I agree the front wheels look quite toy like, so i'm sure this leaves space for some quick minded resin manufacturer to come to our rescue.

Q

June 27th, 2012, 11:33 pm #7

Some really mixed reviews there guys!

Some good, some poor, it leaves me wondering which 1/72 scale kit to buy, to replace my old (1/79) Airfix.

I wholeheartedly agree about the disgraceful straight tracks to bend in hot water. I find that if you need to bend them more than about 25 or 30 degrees, they just break anyway!

June 28th, 2012, 4:11 am #8

Dave,
Ilian,
the same method was used for the tracks on the MPK Demag, and up till now they are my preferred way of doing tracks. One just has to be gentle.
HTH
Rob

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

June 28th, 2012, 9:20 am #9

Some really mixed reviews there guys!

Some good, some poor, it leaves me wondering which 1/72 scale kit to buy, to replace my old (1/79) Airfix.

I wholeheartedly agree about the disgraceful straight tracks to bend in hot water. I find that if you need to bend them more than about 25 or 30 degrees, they just break anyway!
Hey there,
I worked with the tracks from MPK's Wespe and with Maco's PIV tracks, which I bend, too, and none of them was broken.
And in general I think, that Revell and Maco kits are high quality kits, and You won't be wrong, buying the SdKfz. I have to admit, that the build kit on Revell's homepage is not looking that excellent, but I only wonder, how people could be so critical with kits, they even didn't have in hands...
I ordered one and hope I will give us a review, as soon the kit arrive.
I know that there are many Airfix-fans out there, please excuse me, I know how 'good' or 'bad' the 25+ year old kits are - it depends always on what You make from Your models!

Cheers,

Christian

June 28th, 2012, 10:45 am #10

is it really that bad, the wheel and tracks are much better then the Airfix and Hasegawa models which both are awful, I have not tried the newer Maco or Mkb tracks but from what I have heard the work fine and is not the same time of plastic as of the rest of the kit and on the plus side there is a extra set of tracks in there too to screw up/test with.

im sure if this was a Maco solo project there would be a lot less complains

as someone even seen the kit yet?

Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Mondria on June 28th, 2012, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings Patrick Mondria
for some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.nl/