Retreat diorama (moved from wrong forum)

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Retreat diorama (moved from wrong forum)

May 13th, 2017, 3:05 am #1

Hi gang,

Finally finished, here is my 'Retreat' diorama in 1/72 scale.
The scene depicts troops gathering in a farm on the Eastern front, late summer 1943. It includes the Trumpeter Famo, Revell Kanone 18 and a conversion of the Italeri Sd.Kfz.253.
After two years+ working on and off, I kind lost interest, and to be honest there are things that I didn't liked. Probably it is more related to the figures I had in hand than balance of the scene itself. Finding good, convincing injected (hard plastic) figures in 1/72 scale is no easy task. Hope the 3D printing trend will help with that.

I hope you like it...

May 13th, 2017, 6:44 am #2

really nice scene and full of live, just needs clouds of dust now and oppressive heat

May 13th, 2017, 9:12 am #3

Hi gang,

The scene depicts troops gathering in a farm on the Eastern front, late summer 1943. It includes the Trumpeter Famo, Revell Kanone 18 and a conversion of the Italeri Sd.Kfz.253.
After two years+ working on and off, I kind lost interest, and to be honest there are things that I didn't liked. Probably it is more related to the figures I had in hand than balance of the scene itself. Finding good, convincing injected (hard plastic) figures in 1/72 scale is no easy task. Hope the 3D printing trend will help with that.

I hope you like it...

Hello Rato
That's a fascinating little scene with lots of great detail. The chickens add a little colour and life - the tread on the tyres is nicely picked out on the Famo and the figures look very natural. Are they Prieser?

Long term projects can be hard work, so well done for getting it finished. I have found it helps a lot posting in-progress work on here as I've had some great encouragement to help get past the dull bits.

All the best and thanks for posting.

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

May 13th, 2017, 9:45 am #4

Hi gang,

I hope you like it...

Like the chiken, I guess they will soon enough ends in a pot

May 13th, 2017, 12:12 pm #5

Hi gang,

I hope you like it...

Hello Rato;

We're a long way from MUG, eh? Beautiful dio. They can be a lot of work. Tim Treadway

May 13th, 2017, 12:35 pm #6

Hi gang,

I hope you like it...

...soldiers being soldiers the world over I can't imagine any of them walking once they see that Famo rolling by with all those empty seats. I think they'd climb all over it for the ride. Great looking piece.

Brian
Don't be a Big Scale Bigot, go Braille Scale all the way.
Brian

May 13th, 2017, 1:22 pm #7

Hi gang,

I hope you like it...

The time spent on this project has paid off! What did you use for the grass and tree leaves?

May 13th, 2017, 3:12 pm #8

really nice scene and full of live, just needs clouds of dust now and oppressive heat
I'll try better photos when the plaque is finished, maybe with some background photos...

Take care
Last edited by Rato_Marczak on May 13th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 13th, 2017, 3:15 pm #9

Hello Rato
That's a fascinating little scene with lots of great detail. The chickens add a little colour and life - the tread on the tyres is nicely picked out on the Famo and the figures look very natural. Are they Prieser?

Long term projects can be hard work, so well done for getting it finished. I have found it helps a lot posting in-progress work on here as I've had some great encouragement to help get past the dull bits.

All the best and thanks for posting.

Dan
...posting wip here is an extra engouragement, no doubt. I usually keep the wip photos to my website because I have more freedom to change things, text and all.

Yes, the figures are mostly Preiser (Wehrmacht), but I've also used Orion, Pegasus, Ceasar and one stolen from a Dragon Panther for the Panzer crews...

Thanks for your kind words.

May 13th, 2017, 3:16 pm #10

Like the chiken, I guess they will soon enough ends in a pot
Eh, eh... Food chain, Philippe, food chain... (nm)