Resin question?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Resin question?

May 20th, 2017, 3:08 am #1

Hello all and sorry for the seemingly dumb question. So would it work if I molded and then cast soft plastic figures to make them resin? I wouldn't be selling them, just using them. Is this possible? I have never used resin before so this is a shot in the dark.

May 20th, 2017, 3:16 pm #2

Just going to have a compressor and paint pot to force the resin into the mold.
You can then convert parts (arms, legs, etc.) easier that way. Or convert them first, then make a a cast copy of them so they stand up to handeling better.

May 20th, 2017, 5:07 pm #3

Hello all and sorry for the seemingly dumb question. So would it work if I molded and then cast soft plastic figures to make them resin? I wouldn't be selling them, just using them. Is this possible? I have never used resin before so this is a shot in the dark.
It is possible - I make some resin parts for my own works. With figures it is difficult but possible

May 21st, 2017, 9:15 pm #4

Just going to have a compressor and paint pot to force the resin into the mold.
You can then convert parts (arms, legs, etc.) easier that way. Or convert them first, then make a a cast copy of them so they stand up to handeling better.
Chris, can you share more specifics on this, as one of the things that has put me off doing resin is air bubbles, and since I only want to do some bits, a vacuum chamber wouldn't be cost effective. So how does your approach work, as I didn't know that you could get your airbrush compressor to suck air instead of just blow.

May 23rd, 2017, 8:12 am #5

Being a woodworker, I've got a veneer press (Bagpress) that uses my compressor to power it. The principle is similar to how a spray gun works- If you pass a high speed flow of air over a nozzle, it creates a reduction of pressure within the nozzle, sucking any air out- connect the nozzle to a sealed container and you achieve a partial vacuum within the container. Fit a non-return valve, and the vacuum stays.

My bagpress uses a giant vinyl bag as the sealed container, but I imagine that if you use a much smaller container you can achieve the effect with much smaller devices. I'm sure you can get non-return valves for airline hose, too.

One of those cheap Humbrol sprayguns would work- fit a hose instead of the plastic straw into a jam jar, make sure all joints are air-tight and use a clamp on the hose into the jar as the non return valve....

That should give you enough partial vacuum to pull out all the air bubbles.
What happens when you press this bu...........

May 24th, 2017, 12:31 pm #6

Chris, can you share more specifics on this, as one of the things that has put me off doing resin is air bubbles, and since I only want to do some bits, a vacuum chamber wouldn't be cost effective. So how does your approach work, as I didn't know that you could get your airbrush compressor to suck air instead of just blow.
Rob, I use pressure to reduce the bubbles in my resin casts. I use a 2Ltr paint pressure pot with the outlet to the spray gun blocked off, connected to my compressor. I set it at 40PSI and have more than 90% success with no bubbles.
Pretty simple to do and works a treat, I could never get vacuum to work, it just frothed the resin out of the molds.
I've done some casting of figures but they can be a little difficult without making two part molds.
Tim James
aka TJ
Styrene Manipulator.
Lover of heavy metal armour and shiny fast muscle cars.
"Slow progress is better than no progress"