reply to Peter Van Kempen re: FtF 251A

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

reply to Peter Van Kempen re: FtF 251A

November 27th, 2016, 11:34 am #1

Sorry Peter but I didn't see your questions until late last night. Photobucket is still giving me problems. I gave up this morning and tried again on postimage.

gif uploader

image hosting

host image

Unfortunately I don't have any measuring tools except for my eye and a ruler. For the roadwheels, it looks like they are the same size at 8mm. The FtF front wheel looks larger at 13mm to Revell's 11.8-12mm.

I hope this helps you.
All the best,
Jeff

November 27th, 2016, 11:48 am #2

Many thanks for your post Jeff as it has allowed me to check those sizes and dimensions against my existing 76 scale Hanomag 251 wheels. This kit certainly looks too big for me to incorporate it into my collection.Much appreciated.

November 27th, 2016, 1:42 pm #3

Sorry Peter but I didn't see your questions until late last night. Photobucket is still giving me problems. I gave up this morning and tried again on postimage.

gif uploader

image hosting

host image

Unfortunately I don't have any measuring tools except for my eye and a ruler. For the roadwheels, it looks like they are the same size at 8mm. The FtF front wheel looks larger at 13mm to Revell's 11.8-12mm.

I hope this helps you.
All the best,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
very much appreciate yr efforts done and the pics made.
Especially your remark that the diameter appears to be 8 mms gives me solid facts I can refer to:
The actual wheel in 1;1 scale has 570 mms diameter that divided by 72 gives 7,91666 millimeters so I would say: spot on!
We can now also state that as far as the chassis lay out you show here and wheelsizes as refs, the FtF kit /model now issued and to be issued as towing halftrack, hopefully a sdkfz 11, are very much to 1/72 scale, because you have demonstrated that by showing the two layouts and dimensions to be almost identical.
In the real world, this was also the case: The Sdkfz 251 armoured halftrack series was fully identical to the Sdkfz 11 variants used and originated from the same subcontractors fabricating them as produced from 1939 till the end of war.
I very much appreciate this feedback because now I can set up a plan on how many of these relative cheap models by FtF ill need to build all the variants not yet ready available by Dragon and Revell. Both very good models, but with a price that prevents me cutting them up at random for conversions, and this financial aspect is now no longer a obstacle.

And for our friens of other scales: do not dispair, as the use of other scale offerings as here using wheels could enable another halftrack type to be built, I must dive into that later... Please refer to my earlier posted site showing real wheels diameter listed per vehicle.
So,am full of anticipation and already lots of (conversion) fun ahead of the actual delivery and releases of FtF this time!
Happy modelling,
Peter
Regards,
Peter van Kempen.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.