Replacement for Tamiya Lacquer Thinner

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Replacement for Tamiya Lacquer Thinner

December 6th, 2009, 4:11 pm #1

Hi

I like to use Tamiya lacquer thinner to thin their acrylic paints, but am now looking for a substitute as it is impossible to get hold of the lacquer thinner in the UK. Are there any good alternatives I can use other than Tamiya acrylic thinner. Tamiya acrylics spray so much better with their lacquer thinner.

Thnaks in advance.

Robert Price

December 6th, 2009, 4:50 pm #2

Im not sure what is/isnt available in the UK but in the USA I use just hardware store lacquer thinner/cellulose thinner. Its not plastic safe like the Tamiya stuff, but for airbrush use its fine. Gunze Mr. Color thinner is good too, especially Mr. Self Levelling Thinner, which has a retarder/flow agent added. You can also buy the Mr. Color stuff mail order. I got a lot from Rainbow 10 in the past.
DAVID NICKELS

December 6th, 2009, 6:09 pm #3

December 9th, 2009, 1:54 am #4

Im not sure what is/isnt available in the UK but in the USA I use just hardware store lacquer thinner/cellulose thinner. Its not plastic safe like the Tamiya stuff, but for airbrush use its fine. Gunze Mr. Color thinner is good too, especially Mr. Self Levelling Thinner, which has a retarder/flow agent added. You can also buy the Mr. Color stuff mail order. I got a lot from Rainbow 10 in the past.
I find that it has a tendency to destroy or at least screw the paint up to a point that it doesn't spray nearly as good as it does with Tamiya Lacquer thinner or Gunze Mr Self Leveling Thinner

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

December 9th, 2009, 9:20 am #5

Hi

I like to use Tamiya lacquer thinner to thin their acrylic paints, but am now looking for a substitute as it is impossible to get hold of the lacquer thinner in the UK. Are there any good alternatives I can use other than Tamiya acrylic thinner. Tamiya acrylics spray so much better with their lacquer thinner.

Thnaks in advance.

Robert Price
...GAIANATOES is much better than Tamiya Laquer thinner, but also more dangerous for the health. MR. Laquer thinner is also a great alternative.

MIG
http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/

December 9th, 2009, 2:12 pm #6

February 1st, 2010, 11:23 am #7

Hi Robert,

I use general purpose enamel thinners for all of my Tamiya acrylics. I have found that you can thin the paint a lot more, and more consistantly, and get a better and smoother spray and finish.

HTH

Glen
Creative Models Australia

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au