repair to scratched canopy

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

repair to scratched canopy

April 22nd, 2006, 8:54 pm #1

Hi guys
can anyone advise how to remove scratch from clear canopy. I seem to recall some kind of resin to brush on and polish but can't remember the make. Any help would be appreciated
TIA
george

April 22nd, 2006, 9:06 pm #2

Nope I'm not kidding, be sure you get the paste type not the gel. Use it like you would polish for a car, just put a little on a soft cloth and rub the scratch till it goes away. If it's a deep scratch then use very fine sandpaper and finish it with the toothpaste. When you're done coat the whole thing in Future.

Cheers,
Mike

Oh and George, this is an armor site. (I'm assuming you're talking about an aircraft canopy) But I won't tell!

April 22nd, 2006, 9:10 pm #3

Mike
thanks for the info. I had a senior moment. It is for windscreen in Opel Blitz - (Airfix model - now that is something to stay quiet about)
regards
George

April 22nd, 2006, 9:16 pm #4

no text here

April 23rd, 2006, 2:56 am #5

Mike
thanks for the info. I had a senior moment. It is for windscreen in Opel Blitz - (Airfix model - now that is something to stay quiet about)
regards
George
Instead of polishing it why not just cut a new windshield out of clear plastic. The plastic that comes when you buy "Action Figures" is nice and clear and you can always play with the toy....

Owen

April 23rd, 2006, 6:43 am #6

Hi guys
can anyone advise how to remove scratch from clear canopy. I seem to recall some kind of resin to brush on and polish but can't remember the make. Any help would be appreciated
TIA
george
Hi,

I have used the toothpaste option & it's good - if you can get it - then try Eucryl Smokers Tooth Powder !

Or from my car modelling days.... Use some Chrome Polish - this is great - when car modelling you also used it to polish the spray-can paints.

Or get a polishing wand - one of those 3-grit jobs ( Nail Buffer works great!) - this I can thoroughly recommend, I use it to polish custom made head lights.

Clive

April 24th, 2006, 11:49 am #7

Hi guys
TIA
george
Here are two articles that should help.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt037.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt021.htm