Renault UE & Hotchkiss 25mm anti-char Levant 1941 ?

Forum Blindés francophone avec Antoine Puzo et Yann Jouault.

Renault UE & Hotchkiss 25mm anti-char Levant 1941 ?

Stirling Lowery
Stirling Lowery

December 10th, 2007, 6:52 pm #1

Can anyone please inform me if the Renault UE & Hotchkiss 25mm anti-tank gun were in use with any of the Vichy colonial Army of the Levant units ( particulary la Legion ! ) circa 1941 ?

merci !

SDL

Patrick Lapalu
Patrick Lapalu

December 11th, 2007, 11:59 am #2

Hello,

I dont'know very few the Vichy colonial Army but you can put a question to the site :
http://minitracks.forumpersos.com/france-40-f8/
Because, some friends know very well the french vehicles of the 1940's period.

Regards

Patrick

December 12th, 2007, 10:10 am #3

Can anyone please inform me if the Renault UE & Hotchkiss 25mm anti-tank gun were in use with any of the Vichy colonial Army of the Levant units ( particulary la Legion ! ) circa 1941 ?

merci !

SDL
Bonjour Stirling,

In the French magazine Armes Militaria Hors-S�rie #50 "De l'Irak � la Syrie 1941" there are a few photos of the UE in Lebanon/Syria.

On p. 26, we can see 7 UE with the leading 2 each pulling a 25mm (but no trailer) during a parade in Alep in the spring of 1940. The captions of the other pictures of this parade say it is the 86e Division d'infanterie d'Afrique so maybe they belong to that division? The UE and guns are one colour, one UE towing a gun has the registration 93 695 and the second UE towing a gun is 95?63 (I cannot read the middle number, and note that there is a space in the first UE's number but not in the second one). They also both have a (divisional?) sign on the front right hull.

On p. 32, we can see part of a UE belonging to the 13e Demi-Brigade de la L�gion �trang�re according to the caption.

P. 54, we see a very dusty UE pulling a tracked trailer with the name "Narvik" on the front. The caption says it belongs to the 1re Division Fran�aise Libre and because of the name, to the 13e Demi-Brigade. The soldiers on the UE and the trailer appear to be wearing British uniforms and equipment.

Finally on p. 65, there is a UE towing both a trailer and a 25mm with British (or Australian soldiers) sitting on the UE and trailer. On the back of the trailer there are the usual French markings plus the number 61 painted by hand with no stencil. (On the same page we see a few Australian soldiers repainting a captured Renault R-35.)

I hope this helps.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator

Stirling Lowery
Stirling Lowery

December 12th, 2007, 5:33 pm #4

Many thanks indeed gentlemen !

I`ll have to try and aquire this particular edition of A&M Hors Serie !

Regards

SDL

antonio lopez
antonio lopez

March 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm #5

Bonjour Stirling,

In the French magazine Armes Militaria Hors-S�rie #50 "De l'Irak � la Syrie 1941" there are a few photos of the UE in Lebanon/Syria.

On p. 26, we can see 7 UE with the leading 2 each pulling a 25mm (but no trailer) during a parade in Alep in the spring of 1940. The captions of the other pictures of this parade say it is the 86e Division d'infanterie d'Afrique so maybe they belong to that division? The UE and guns are one colour, one UE towing a gun has the registration 93 695 and the second UE towing a gun is 95?63 (I cannot read the middle number, and note that there is a space in the first UE's number but not in the second one). They also both have a (divisional?) sign on the front right hull.

On p. 32, we can see part of a UE belonging to the 13e Demi-Brigade de la L�gion �trang�re according to the caption.

P. 54, we see a very dusty UE pulling a tracked trailer with the name "Narvik" on the front. The caption says it belongs to the 1re Division Fran�aise Libre and because of the name, to the 13e Demi-Brigade. The soldiers on the UE and the trailer appear to be wearing British uniforms and equipment.

Finally on p. 65, there is a UE towing both a trailer and a 25mm with British (or Australian soldiers) sitting on the UE and trailer. On the back of the trailer there are the usual French markings plus the number 61 painted by hand with no stencil. (On the same page we see a few Australian soldiers repainting a captured Renault R-35.)

I hope this helps.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator
this renault ue is color sand?

March 2nd, 2008, 3:37 pm #6

Bonjour Antonio,

I don't know if they were painted sand or green.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator