Removing paint?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Removing paint?

Rob James
Rob James

August 19th, 2004, 3:57 am #1

I'll spare you the details of exactly how it came into my posession, but suffice it to say i've been given a kit that a young relative has had a go at and lost interest in.

Some of the parts have already been painted, but badly. It basically looks like the part has either been dipped in the paint, or had it poured on exceedingly thickly, and has obscured many of the small details. I know he used Tamiya acrylic paint, and am after some tips on how to remove it without destroying the detail on the part.

Any suggestions?

Jeff Andrews
Jeff Andrews

August 19th, 2004, 1:40 pm #2

Scale Coat II Wash Away
http://www.internettrains.com/scwapare16oz.html
It will remove Tamiya Acrylic paint no problem
and will not harm the plastic.

I have used it many times and it's really good.

Another one that I've read good reviews on but have not tried
is Polly S ELO "Easy Lift Off".
http://www.ehobbies.com/1001-9421.html

If you got the cash I suggest you get both.
IMHO paint remover is a must have item.

August 19th, 2004, 1:40 pm #3

I'll spare you the details of exactly how it came into my posession, but suffice it to say i've been given a kit that a young relative has had a go at and lost interest in.

Some of the parts have already been painted, but badly. It basically looks like the part has either been dipped in the paint, or had it poured on exceedingly thickly, and has obscured many of the small details. I know he used Tamiya acrylic paint, and am after some tips on how to remove it without destroying the detail on the part.

Any suggestions?
Hi Rob,
If it is Tamiya acrylic,Windex window cleaner works wonders!!
Just spray it on or dunk the model in a plastic container with windex!!
..........the paint should come off easily!!
Nick

Jeff Andrews
Jeff Andrews

August 19th, 2004, 1:56 pm #4

Really?
I'll have to try that out.
Thank you!
I did one time try and remover some Model Master Acryl
with Windex and it didn't work.

August 19th, 2004, 3:09 pm #5

Hi Jeff,
no problem!!
no it won't work with model master....it works with Tamiya and Gunze..
oh yeah, it works really well.....and cheap, too!!
let me know how it works out...
Nick

stuart dalgarno
stuart dalgarno

August 20th, 2004, 2:24 pm #6

Any suggestions?
Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantanious. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

stuart dalgarno
stuart dalgarno

August 20th, 2004, 2:25 pm #7

Any suggestions?
Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantaneous. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

stuart dalgarno
stuart dalgarno

August 20th, 2004, 2:26 pm #8

Any suggestions?
Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantanious. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

Anthony Yu
Anthony Yu

August 24th, 2004, 7:01 pm #9

Any suggestions?
Some TSP mixed with water works really well. It is a lot cheaper than windex. If you have anything other than acrylics on it, try Castrol Super Clean. I've successivefully taken off lacquer from a 5 year old model without harm to the plastic.

August 27th, 2004, 3:23 pm #10

Any suggestions?
...is to use easy-off oven cleaner. They have one that has no fumes and will rip the paint off in a hurry and you could leave plastic dipped in it and it won't harm it at ALL. I use an old toothbrush with soft bristles to get in the crevices. It works wonders on a ruined paintjob. But keep in mind it really only works with acrylics especially Tamiya. Enamels don't work so well.

HTH

MIKE