Removing paint and Future wax coats from old kit

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Removing paint and Future wax coats from old kit

August 22nd, 2006, 2:43 pm #1

Hi all, I had seen a earlier post abotu stripping paint from an old model using such products as "castrol super clean" and oven cleaner. I have used 409 for figures. If a kit as a good coating of Future floor wax, can that effect removing paint? Thank for any info! MJW

August 23rd, 2006, 8:02 pm #2

Hi, not sure if you saw my response a few threads down in regards to this product called Chameleon Paint remover, but since my response I ordered the product and tested it out. I had some Alclad II chrome paint that I needed to clean from a model plain i was building and after i saw it strip the paint and primer clean in about 20min or so, I was sold! It didnt damage the model itself at all unlike some of the other products. I was pretty sceptical until I tried it. Since Future is Acrylic based, it should be no problem in removing that coat and the paint below it. I used a nylon brush to help speed up the process as well. Since it says that you can reuse the paint stripper, I used a paint strainer i had and poured the used liquid into a second container to prevent most of the paint particles from passing through so I can reuse it again. I purchased the large bottle ($29.99), but it was a good investment. Heck, I even got one of my local hobbyshops to start carrying it after I told them about it Now I can just pick it up locally. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with it. It's a great investment and its one less thing to worry about healthwise in this hobby

HTH, Carlos

PS. Here's the website if interested, but check to see if your local hobbyshop carries it
http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/index.html

August 24th, 2006, 5:56 pm #3

Hi all, I had seen a earlier post abotu stripping paint from an old model using such products as "castrol super clean" and oven cleaner. I have used 409 for figures. If a kit as a good coating of Future floor wax, can that effect removing paint? Thank for any info! MJW
when i Removing paint from my models i use mr.musculo forno, its oven cleaner and hi remove 95-99% color and eles

take a look its not on english but pic are tell u the story LOL
http://www.zveza-zgpms.si/clanki/odstra ... index.html

August 29th, 2006, 2:02 pm #4

Future can be removed with ammonia. When I was making the resin used in Future (I work for SC Johnson) we used straight ammonia to disolve the resin flakes for lab tests.

You do not say what kind of paint you used on your model but Windex (another SCJ product) will strip Tamiya bottle type acrylics. I believe the ammonia in Windex is what does it although I have not experimented. Windex does a great job, is inexpensive and not as dangerous as other products. It will not work on enamels.

Dave

Thanks

Dave Schemel

Improving my modeling one mistake at a time.

www.justplanestuff.net

August 29th, 2006, 4:35 pm #5

try using some simple green. ive allways have had good results after soaking for a day. also good on enamel paint with a couple of days soaking.

August 29th, 2006, 10:19 pm #6

n/t