removal of acrylic paint from a resin figure

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

removal of acrylic paint from a resin figure

May 8th, 2012, 1:47 pm #1

I have used easy off oven cleaner in the past, but didn't know if it would work the same on acrylics. just painted a bust and I'm not happy with the outcome, so I want to strip it off and try again.

any hints! soapy water and a brush?

thanks
carter

May 8th, 2012, 2:12 pm #2

Windex or any other product with ammonia will strip acrylic paint. The resin is pretty much impervious to any type of solvents, so no worries there.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on May 8th, 2012, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

May 8th, 2012, 3:01 pm #3

I have used easy off oven cleaner in the past, but didn't know if it would work the same on acrylics. just painted a bust and I'm not happy with the outcome, so I want to strip it off and try again.

thanks
carter
Windex won't even touch the new Vallejo Primers. Heck their own airbrush cleaner won't even touch a freshly painted body with the primer on it.

May 9th, 2012, 1:53 am #4

and I primed it with Tamiya primer. Not worried about the tamiya primer just want to strip off the acrylics and start fresh.

I will try the windex idea

thanks
Carter

May 11th, 2012, 12:40 pm #5

Or "rubbing" alcohol 91% is what I use. It absoultely destroys acrylics, and when I need to strip some, that's the way to go.
I haven't found an acrylic paint yet that can stand up to some 91% alcohol and a stiff bristled paint brush. Vallejo, and Andrea paints fall off, as do Citadel and MM Acryl paints.

Rod

May 11th, 2012, 4:17 pm #6

thanks Rod n/t

May 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm #7

thanks
carter
You can also use Mr. Color Thinner - great stuff! Just put the item for a few minutes/hours into the liquid and the brush off the paint...

Happy Modelling!
Arne
Last edited by Arne Doenike on May 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 11:55 am #8

thanks
carter
Half a capful diluted in about a small bowl of water. This works for me especially the blue one made for Tesco stores.

Cheers
Patrick

July 30th, 2012, 6:49 am #9

thanks
carter
I've heard that Simple Green (not Soylent Green) works well but I've never tried it.