References for T29 heavy tank?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

References for T29 heavy tank?

April 9th, 2012, 1:22 pm #1

Hello all,

I'm researching a possible scratchbuild of the U.S. T29 heavy tank designed during WWII. If you recall, it sort of looks like a Pershing on steroids. In particular, I'm considering the T29E3 with the big stereoscopic range finder on the turret.

Does anyone know of any good references for this vehicle?

Also, does anyone know a point of contact at Ft. Benning where the vehicle(s) is at currently? I'm thinking of trying to make a trip to Benning to take measurement and photos, but only if I can get at the vehicle. I know it's not currently in an area accessible to the public.

Thanks!

David

April 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm #2

"Firepower, a History of the American Heavy Tank" by Richard P. Hunnicutt. One of the harder to get Hunnicutt volumes, but there are some around. You might even try interlibrary loan if you have that available.

April 9th, 2012, 7:23 pm #3

Hello all,

I'm researching a possible scratchbuild of the U.S. T29 heavy tank designed during WWII. If you recall, it sort of looks like a Pershing on steroids. In particular, I'm considering the T29E3 with the big stereoscopic range finder on the turret.

Also, does anyone know a point of contact at Ft. Benning where the vehicle(s) is at currently? I'm thinking of trying to make a trip to Benning to take measurement and photos, but only if I can get at the vehicle. I know it's not currently in an area accessible to the public.

Thanks!

David

It has a lot of duplicates but I was able to photograph every existing T29/30/32/34 series still existing at Fort Knox several years back. And the book by Hunnicut is pretty much the only game in town but it is very, very good.

Matt

April 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm #4

Hello all,

Thanks!

David
Hello,

Have you tried searching on Google.com? There are lots of T29 stuff that you can find for free. I used the keywords "T29 Heavy Tank". For example you can find:

This is from a Ukrainian website. Not sure where the image was originally copied from. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
+Y.C.

April 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm #5

...since I'm not a U.S. armor modeler by experience.

1. What sort of tracks are those on it, i.e. the inventory number (T##, M##, etc.)?

2. Anyone make those tracks in 1/35th?

Thanks!

David

April 10th, 2012, 12:28 am #6

Hello,

Have you tried searching on Google.com? There are lots of T29 stuff that you can find for free. I used the keywords "T29 Heavy Tank". For example you can find:

This is from a Ukrainian website. Not sure where the image was originally copied from. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
+Y.C.
NT

April 10th, 2012, 12:37 am #7

...since I'm not a U.S. armor modeler by experience.

1. What sort of tracks are those on it, i.e. the inventory number (T##, M##, etc.)?

2. Anyone make those tracks in 1/35th?

Thanks!

David
The T29 series had the T80E3 series tracks which had a 5" extended end connector attached to the standard T80E1 tracks. The T80E1 tracks are easily available in 1/35 but I have not seen the E3 variant. It's certainly possible that the end connectors are available from someone but I've not seen them.

Matt

April 10th, 2012, 3:28 am #8

Hello all,

Thanks!

David
If you get here before oh say late June. I can introduce you to the Armor Museum staff. And or get you close enough to take the pics and get the info you want. Its not like they are working on it right now.

A US veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

April 10th, 2012, 4:47 am #9

Hello all,

Thanks!

David
David

Before everything left Ft Knox, I was fortunate enough to have extensively photographed all the Heavy Tanks (T28, T29, T29E3, T30, & T34) to include accessing the interiors and doing some detailed photos. Most have been welded shut for decades, and the interiors are in poor condition.

The T29E3's interior, like the others has been stripped of many of the components. The sterioscopic sight has long since been removed. Some of the fire control components remain and the gun even retained its breech, which is still actually operational.

I'm sure Shawn can help you out, he has access to all 'my' old toys.....

Regards
Don

April 10th, 2012, 1:14 pm #10

So any chance to beg abjectly enough for your collection? Libations could be provided? The T29 is next on my scratchbuild list and I didn't capture everything I wanted on my tours. Teach me to leave my other memory card back in Michigan. . .

Matt