Redacted Posts?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Redacted Posts?

July 12th, 2011, 1:32 am #1

I recently started on one of Bronco's A13's. Thought I would do a search on the beast, as I recall that Bob Gregory (and others) had some very informative threads. It appears that Mr. Gregory (?) has redacted most of his posts....

Since I sometimes chide (gently, I hope) posters for not using the search function when seeking information, this sort of thing really does render search useless...

I assume Bob did this for his own reasons, and not the moderators?

Just saying....

Mike

July 12th, 2011, 2:49 am #2

Mike,
Actually the search function on this site sucks worse than all that has ever sucked before. In my 10+ years here I have rarely, if ever, found what I've been looking for (I've found google works much better). It might just be me, but many have grumbled about the search function's uselessness.
Regards,
Georg

PS-swap the "at" for an "@"
PPS- for those of you who have e-muscles, if you are too spineless to make your snarky comment to my face, don't bother making it here. You know who you are.
Last edited by GeorgEyerman on July 12th, 2011, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2011, 3:02 am #3

Georg:

Yep, search is not the best, but these threads were clearly redacted - only Bob's - the heading got changed to "0000" and the subject was "dead" (IIRC).

Other poster's comments were untouched.

I recall there were some heated discussions, and locked threads, but I wanted to review the threads not to stir up old arguments but to review the comments about inaccuracies and possible fixes...

Curiouser and curiouser...

Mike
Last edited by Mike Carroll on July 12th, 2011, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2011, 1:28 pm #4

I thought it was just me, so it's good to hear others have trouble searching on this site.
Yesterday i typed 'M36 Tank destroyer' in and got the Google page telling me,'WERE SORRY BUT YOUR COMPUTER OR NETWORK MAY BE SENDING AUTOMATED QUERIES. TO PROTECT OUR USERS WE CANT PROCESS YOUR REQUEST RIGHT NOW.
I did the same search a few mins ago and got the same responce.
Has any one else got this reply, just so i can rule out my computer being hacked or something else. Dave.

July 12th, 2011, 1:51 pm #5

but several times when using the Network54 search link (as opposed to the google search link), I'll get a message that it is not available, but when I try from a different forum (like modern or private sellers) it'll work. Then I go back to the original forum I wanted to search and it works. Strange.

RobG
RobG

July 12th, 2011, 1:54 pm #6

I thought it was just me, so it's good to hear others have trouble searching on this site.
Yesterday i typed 'M36 Tank destroyer' in and got the Google page telling me,'WERE SORRY BUT YOUR COMPUTER OR NETWORK MAY BE SENDING AUTOMATED QUERIES. TO PROTECT OUR USERS WE CANT PROCESS YOUR REQUEST RIGHT NOW.
I did the same search a few mins ago and got the same responce.
Has any one else got this reply, just so i can rule out my computer being hacked or something else. Dave.

You Guys get so animated ! lol .... The Search function works just fine over here on th Axis D.G ..... but then again, the Germans are known for Their Organizational Skillzz ... You just have to type simple words in like Panther ... Bada-Bing .. You get pages of text !

C'Mon Guys ... come to th Dark Side ..." fell th True Power" lol .... Naw , seriously .. C'Mon WE'd love to hear from you !! Think about it ... We'll be here for ya' !!

@ MIKE- Have you tried gettin in touch with FRANK ? He has a rather extensive library on th Brit's stuff.

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

July 12th, 2011, 3:08 pm #7

So it works just fine for Erik

Maybe then its because we're spelling our searches wrong over on the allied DG

instead of :

Cromwell Cruiser F Type Hull

We should be putting

CROMWLL CRUISR F TYP HULL!!

What do you think?

Chris
(sorry Erik, couldn't resist)

July 12th, 2011, 3:22 pm #8

You might try typing with an American accent. Y'know, "Jaguar" instead of "Jeg-u-wah".

July 12th, 2011, 3:41 pm #9

I recently started on one of Bronco's A13's. Thought I would do a search on the beast, as I recall that Bob Gregory (and others) had some very informative threads. It appears that Mr. Gregory (?) has redacted most of his posts....

Since I sometimes chide (gently, I hope) posters for not using the search function when seeking information, this sort of thing really does render search useless...

I assume Bob did this for his own reasons, and not the moderators?

Just saying....

Mike
I've seen those post as well and they are exactly how you describe and it has nothing to do with the search function. I just assumed something pissed him off and he deleted his posts (just look at the edit date, they all pretty much happened at the same time.)

As far as the search function, it can be finicky and troublesome but usually after switching up the search words and trying different combination's, I will find what I'm looking for. When it's working that is, sometimes it will tell me it's not working but a few hours later it does.

http://armorfarm.blogspot.com/

July 12th, 2011, 4:25 pm #10

Sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm dealing with HAL 9000 when using the search function.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

My name is Joe.

"I know, Dave. I'm programmed to assist you."

It's Joe, dammit. So, why aren't my search requests showing results?

"Dave, I feel like singing a song. Daisy, Daisy......."