Red Tide Rising

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Red Tide Rising

January 12th, 2005, 11:05 pm #1

Congratulations to Adam, Carlos, and Abilio for an outstanding diorama! I was lucky to see it in person, and couldn't stop gazing at it! VERY original, well planned, and beautifully executed! I am truly inspired to undertake similarly complex works thanks to the efforts of you guys! Bravo amigos!

Best regards

Charlie

Adam Wilder
Adam Wilder

January 13th, 2005, 12:37 am #2

Always great to hear from you Charley

I still owe you a phone call I know. I will give you an update on things shortly.

Your good friend
ANPW

January 13th, 2005, 1:38 am #3

Congratulations to Adam, Carlos, and Abilio for an outstanding diorama! I was lucky to see it in person, and couldn't stop gazing at it! VERY original, well planned, and beautifully executed! I am truly inspired to undertake similarly complex works thanks to the efforts of you guys! Bravo amigos!

Best regards

Charlie
Hi Guy's, great diorama.... but who would be the recipiant of an award/medal IF this dio was entered in a major competition? It has been a increasing trend for modellers to band together to produce a model/dio and one wonders when it will end. in my opinion any model entered in a competition should be soley the work of a single modeller. Or are modellers these days to scared to leave it to their own individual skills? If these works are for a display only scenario then yes it is a good idea. only my 2 cents worth. cheers Les.

Francesco Chiementin
Francesco Chiementin

January 13th, 2005, 3:49 pm #4

First of all let me place here my sincere compliments to those brave modellers for that wonderful work!

Actually, I'd like to add someting about the last comment I read... i'm sure that when those people had the idea of making that diorama didn't wanted to win prizes... this is unfortunately a major defeat of modelism, which should always be considered as a large-deep-extraordinary and pure act of passion or hobby...

"...modelers to scared...?" But what does it means? Those guys didn't realize that work in order to win prizes, they liked the idea of working together to obtain something about which they could be proud of... surely any one of them could afford that alone but the result, when working with others, is surely better and sometimes even more satisfactory than a single work would be...

Maybe this diorama will be seen in competitions (I'd like that just to let other modellers see it and maybe learn from it) but I'm sure that the question: "which one of the authors is gonne win the single prize?" is surely out of place... maybe they could donate it to their modelling club or free association just to remember, maybe they'll put it on a shelve in their favourite bar... I've already seen similar happenings...
And why you would not accept this diorama in a competition. Ok, it would have to be placed in a special cathegory but it's any way worthing it.

That's enought, I'm sorry for this invective.

Best regards,
Francesco

January 13th, 2005, 6:42 pm #5

thanks for well thought out reply, my main comment was "if" this work was entered in a competition. but yor explaination was good. the idea of this type of work needing a seperate catagory in a competition has merit. as so often of late we see joint work winning Major(Euro) comps. food for thought? thanks for your imput. cheers les.

Carlos Elias
Carlos Elias

January 13th, 2005, 9:36 pm #6

First of all let me place here my sincere compliments to those brave modellers for that wonderful work!

Actually, I'd like to add someting about the last comment I read... i'm sure that when those people had the idea of making that diorama didn't wanted to win prizes... this is unfortunately a major defeat of modelism, which should always be considered as a large-deep-extraordinary and pure act of passion or hobby...

"...modelers to scared...?" But what does it means? Those guys didn't realize that work in order to win prizes, they liked the idea of working together to obtain something about which they could be proud of... surely any one of them could afford that alone but the result, when working with others, is surely better and sometimes even more satisfactory than a single work would be...

Maybe this diorama will be seen in competitions (I'd like that just to let other modellers see it and maybe learn from it) but I'm sure that the question: "which one of the authors is gonne win the single prize?" is surely out of place... maybe they could donate it to their modelling club or free association just to remember, maybe they'll put it on a shelve in their favourite bar... I've already seen similar happenings...
And why you would not accept this diorama in a competition. Ok, it would have to be placed in a special cathegory but it's any way worthing it.

That's enought, I'm sorry for this invective.

Best regards,
Francesco
... All words of you messaje are true. I cannot explain better. Adam is good friend mine.He lives in USA I in Spain I cannot drink one beer in saturday nigth with him.
But thanks to internet we can work togehter in a common project.We can live hours the excitement of interchanging ideas about these dio. Our aim is reach the best work that we can. My main satisfacion is see how without physical contact I can work united and reach good results The result is these dio ( and others).Publishing our work I think that we can help other modellers to obtain similar results.Our goal when we start work is not win contests, is have a interesting experience.
Best whises

Carlos Elias

Adam Wilder
Adam Wilder

January 13th, 2005, 11:04 pm #7

And Les and Francisco, thank you both for your very interesting postings. Those are some very nice words Francisco. I feel as though you hit the nail on the head.

I also think another advantage of working in teams is the time saved. During the construction of this diorama, I was working full time and taking classes. The help and guidance for RTR form Carlos and Abilio did not only greatly improve the quality of this long project, but also saved me a considerable amount of work.

I hope talk with you both again soon.

Cheers from all of us.

ANPW

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

January 13th, 2005, 11:25 pm #8

Best regards

Charlie
I can't get over some of the techniques...especially the rusty metal treatment, I've seen it done well before, but this is the finest "urban debris" I have ever seen. What a team.

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

January 14th, 2005, 10:49 am #9

Best regards

Charlie
Congratulations guys!

One of the most inspiring dios I have ever seen! Composition and attention to detail are top notch!

As for it entering competitions: why not? Usually the model is judged and not the modeller anyway. And since competitions are usually the best forum to show a model in public (I think this is the most important function of a competition, together with the social activity,not the awards-part), it would be a shame to leave it out. I must say I was really disappointed not to see it at last Euromilitaire! I am sure I would have studied it for hours

I am not very fond of coöperation myself since the most important attraction in building dio's for me is: all the different aspects in it. I love the variation of groundwork, buildings, vehicles, figures, ... so I wouldn't like to pass those jobs to someone else. It also takes a lot of discipline and planning to get a top quality diorama finished, which can also make it difficult to work with someone else on the same project. But hey, if you like the idea, working together might be one of the best ways to experience a friendship with another modeler, so please go ahead!

And Charlie, I am really sorry for not contacting you for so long. My emailing ethics are not always how they should be. Shall we get back in touch?

Best wishes,

Marijn

January 14th, 2005, 7:23 pm #10

thanks for well thought out reply, my main comment was "if" this work was entered in a competition. but yor explaination was good. the idea of this type of work needing a seperate catagory in a competition has merit. as so often of late we see joint work winning Major(Euro) comps. food for thought? thanks for your imput. cheers les.
Hi Adam (and Carlos and Abilio)

if i may :

the Dio was entered at the last AMPS conv in Havre de Grace and was really a show stopper !
it would have been a pity to keep this one out of views !

Adam, it was a real pleasure to see this one in "flesh" a true gem !!!

i hope to meet you again this year there i surely will have a zillion questions to ask you !

cheers

Franck Edet
thinking of the future is creating the future