Recommendations on aftermarket tracks for T-34/85

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Recommendations on aftermarket tracks for T-34/85

July 19th, 2012, 3:24 am #1

I'm working on a Korean War T-34/85 using the Dragon kit , and looking for a recommendation for an available aftermarket set of tracks . Would prefer plastic snap together over Fruil metal tracks if possible. What, if anything, is out there to replace the kit tracks?

July 19th, 2012, 4:41 am #2

500mm 1942 tracks. I have some, but have yet to use them. The review on PMMS was generally positive and they were not pricy at all (got them fromn Lucky Model).

ian

July 19th, 2012, 12:03 pm #3

I'm working on a Korean War T-34/85 using the Dragon kit , and looking for a recommendation for an available aftermarket set of tracks . Would prefer plastic snap together over Fruil metal tracks if possible. What, if anything, is out there to replace the kit tracks?
Dragon's links are really not bad. AFV's are reasonable too but aside from being somewhat workable they are not much of an improvement over the Dragon links IMHO. Honestly too I really like the Friul T-34 tracks. They are easy to build, look and fit great, etc.
DAVID NICKELS

July 19th, 2012, 4:39 pm #4

Thanks for the input

Was aware of the AFV track and will look into it. Just was not sure if it was apprtopriate for a Korean War T-34/85.

Have had bad luck with the Dragon glue together track in the past, particularly "dead" track on Soviet tanks. As I prefer to add the tracks last after construction and painting , and most weathering are done, getting the proper sag to dead track has been impossible for me with glue together track.

I just gave up on and threw out a set of Fruil T-34 tracks. These were the older "squeeze together" type. I found the joints just to weak and the track kept breaking under its own weight in normal handling. Do they make a set not for the T-34 in the "pin together" type. I've had better luck with those but have found the process of drilling out each link before the pin goes in to be exceptionally mind-numbing. Will give them a look, though.

July 19th, 2012, 6:55 pm #5

I don't think Friul has made the squeeze together tracks for 20 years. I had one set of them waaaaay back when Squadron Mail Order handled those.

The pin together tracks are quite easy to build. Generally you don't have to drill out every link either. Clean up is honestly minimal. Spade Ace makes similar metal tracks. Even drilling out all of the links and connecting links, I built a set of Spade Ace E-100 tracks in just a couple of days and each pair of links was made up of four parts.

If you really don't want to build them, Secter 35 offers link type metal tracks that come pre assembled for about $45 a set/pair
DAVID NICKELS

July 20th, 2012, 11:50 pm #6

500mm 1942 tracks. I have some, but have yet to use them. The review on PMMS was generally positive and they were not pricy at all (got them fromn Lucky Model).

ian
Just want to re assure you that AFV Club track for the T34 is very good. It takes a little effort to click them in carefully. If you force them then they break or mush the dimple and it doesn't hold anymore. So with a little effort you will get a happy result. I've built a few of the links as to test try and I am very pleased at the result. They and all the AFV Club tracks are worth the money.