Recently got back into modelling.......

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Recently got back into modelling.......

August 15th, 2003, 8:56 am #1

....after a break of over twenty years and one of my first projects to near completion is a north african sas jeep.
I want to display it on a small(ish) scenic base but my knowledge of groundwork building is at best patchy!!
Any ideas/comments on what (or what not!) to include would be helpful. also, any tips for producing convincing desert groundwork would be much appreciated!!

thnx in advance for any input, here's hoping that photos of the finished piece will soon be appearing on a DG near you!

Cheers

Simon

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

August 15th, 2003, 9:43 am #2

Sandy desert groundwork is probably the eaisest there is to do. Just get some wall filler with a fine texture (the kind that looks like plaster and that you have to mix with water, for example) and spread it over the base so it's fairly smooth. Then put in the tracks left by the jeep's wheels (use a spare wheel for this, for example, kept wet so as to avoid it sticking) and then let it dry. You can then paint it a sand-color and drybrush with other sand colors to add a bit of variation; you can also mix sand-colored paint into the filler to make sure it's colored all the way through, which helps in case of chipping

August 15th, 2003, 12:26 pm #3

....after a break of over twenty years and one of my first projects to near completion is a north african sas jeep.
I want to display it on a small(ish) scenic base but my knowledge of groundwork building is at best patchy!!
Any ideas/comments on what (or what not!) to include would be helpful. also, any tips for producing convincing desert groundwork would be much appreciated!!

thnx in advance for any input, here's hoping that photos of the finished piece will soon be appearing on a DG near you!

Cheers

Simon
Simon,
what the previous poster said is correct. But I have found that drywall/plaster cracks excessively as it drys. I use a modelling clay called Das Pronto, it is very fine grained and doesn't crack nearly as much,
or at all, as other things I have tried.

If you are going to add rocks or other debris to the dio, remember to imbed them to avoid the "fell out of the sky and landed on top of my dio look".

A series of books by Shep Paine, and published by Kamlbach ( FineScaleModeler) on dios and military figures is a grat source of tips and techniques for
modelers.

Good luck

HTH

Andy Tedtsen

Greg H
Greg H

August 16th, 2003, 10:41 pm #4

Cheers

Simon
OH, geez, did I really say that?!

Actually, I'd suggest going to your local ball diamond & taking a bit of the dirt used on a professionally done pitchers mound. A lad came to my local model club with a Afrika Korps figure & used this stuff for his ground work - its really convincing!

hth,

Greg Harting
pyrman NO@SPAM aol.com

August 22nd, 2003, 10:49 am #5

Cheers

Simon
...my message was deleted! might have been cos I didn't include an email address or maybe it was cos I joked about trespassing on an american airbase to filch material from a baseball diamond!! (if that was the reason, I believe it's time for some people to re-engage their humour circuits!!!)
I don't expect this post to stay here long
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!
Yours, Rockin' the boat, Simon

August 25th, 2003, 11:55 pm #6

Cheers

Simon
Hey.hope it goes well.....

heres some hints.--

If you want mud on your scene, mix a brownish colour humbrol paint with baking powder .
When it dries the air will come out of the baking powder forming little tiny bubbles to make it look like mud....

Give it a go......

Cheers mate

Russell Smitheram