Re: What did they stand on?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Re: What did they stand on?

January 25th, 2012, 12:51 am #1

Hello all, this is a question that may have been answered before, so forgive the double up. I actually saw this question on another site with no reply and I thought it interesting...and looking thro' my references, I could not find the answer. Well here goes. What did the .50 cal and .30 cal gunners stand on to fire them on the LVT4? Perched on the sill of the access areas to the cab for the .50cals would be uncomfortable to say the least. In the later LVT the troop benches would be a help for the .30 cal gunners.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Tony

January 25th, 2012, 1:45 am #2

Well the .50 cal's were meant to be anti aircraft guns, so they could be fired into the air by gunners standing on the floor of the compartment, like these:

Otherwise I suppose a large ammo box would do the trick.
Paul.

Paul (Tanks) James
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.l.james/
"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying
Last edited by Paul L James on January 25th, 2012, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
http://facebook.com/paul.l.james
"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is
unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying

January 25th, 2012, 4:09 am #3

Hello all, this is a question that may have been answered before, so forgive the double up. I actually saw this question on another site with no reply and I thought it interesting...and looking thro' my references, I could not find the answer. Well here goes. What did the .50 cal and .30 cal gunners stand on to fire them on the LVT4? Perched on the sill of the access areas to the cab for the .50cals would be uncomfortable to say the least. In the later LVT the troop benches would be a help for the .30 cal gunners.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Tony
There are several notations to this at least in the PTO. Addition of an attached platform would have interfered with cargo handling, and these vehicles were after all doctrinally cargo transports.

January 25th, 2012, 1:27 pm #4

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Tony

From Dave Harper

January 25th, 2012, 2:00 pm #5

Robert,

Could those rectangular recesses located between the octogonal plates on walls of the cargo compartment have been put there for just that purpose?

Cheers!

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

January 26th, 2012, 3:52 am #6

All of you thanks for your input. The photograph indicates that no one in authority was around. What a mess!!!Even in combat.
I figured that the average squaddy would have come up with something but I was wondering if there was something added to the CES.
Thanks again for your input.
Tony