Re: Russian windmills

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Re: Russian windmills

February 28th, 2012, 6:42 am #1

I have a decent photo of a Russian windmill that I would like to model in 1/35th. The windmill is sat on logs...a four sided structure., something like a log cabin. The upper main part is constructed of wood planks. I was wondering what the dimensions for everything would be. I accept that this is all very vague, but would anyone have any ideas about the size of the sails and the logs etc. I have no size comparison in the photo.
Any suggestions...besides the obvious, ha,ha. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for any help.
Tony

March 2nd, 2012, 1:01 am #2

Tony, can you see what type of timer is used, there was a lot of Silver Birch in Russia I don't thing that this got very big, probable 8 to 10 inches in diameter where as pine would be a lot larger

Stuart

March 2nd, 2012, 4:15 am #3

Stuart, thank you for your reply. I have a picture of the intended build but (1) I cannot tell the type of wood, and (2) do not know how to put the picture on the site. I will go with the 8 to 10 inches. And try to figure out the overall height from that. I realise that this is tremendously vague so I will leave this. Thanks again.
Tony

March 4th, 2012, 11:52 am #4

I have a decent photo of a Russian windmill that I would like to model in 1/35th. The windmill is sat on logs...a four sided structure., something like a log cabin. The upper main part is constructed of wood planks. I was wondering what the dimensions for everything would be. I accept that this is all very vague, but would anyone have any ideas about the size of the sails and the logs etc. I have no size comparison in the photo.
Any suggestions...besides the obvious, ha,ha. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for any help.
Tony
Hi Tony,

Bastion 35 made a 1/35 wooden windmill but unfortunately I believe they are no longer in business. Not sure if this is the pic that you already have but at least the link will give others an idea of what you may be after.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-35-Scale-Ru ... 0610351961

(auction has ended but pic is still there)

Regards
Greg

March 6th, 2012, 9:23 am #5

Greg, thank you for your answer. The windmill is something similar but the base is built up higher with logs. About ten to twelve logs high. I appreciate your thoughts and consideration.
Thank you once again,
Tony