Ranger Special Operations Vehicle

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Ranger Special Operations Vehicle

July 7th, 2012, 10:32 am #1

Hi Guys,

As some of you will know, I am a bit of a Land Rover nut. I have just received the Hobbyboss RSOV version of the Rover, and have a couple of questions as to its deployment. I know that it is only in use with the US Ranger Forces. However I know very little about the Rangers (except the Glasgow football team). Could someone, possibly from the US, tell me when, where and by whom the RSOVs are/were used.
Many Thanks
Dennis

July 7th, 2012, 3:57 pm #2

Does this help? http://www3.ausa.org/webint/DeptArmyMag ... CRN-6CCRY7

And a photo here,
jh

July 8th, 2012, 6:28 pm #3

Hi Guys,

As some of you will know, I am a bit of a Land Rover nut. I have just received the Hobbyboss RSOV version of the Rover, and have a couple of questions as to its deployment. I know that it is only in use with the US Ranger Forces. However I know very little about the Rangers (except the Glasgow football team). Could someone, possibly from the US, tell me when, where and by whom the RSOVs are/were used.
Many Thanks
Dennis
I think the armor forum on Hyperscale had a RSOV thread this year also.

Note that the RSOVs were dropped circa 2002-04 in favor of HUMMVs in the style of the SF DMV/GMVs. Some RSOVs were deployed to Afghanistan in '02 but as I understand it, saw little use outside of the wire and were never deployed otherwise in the post 9-11 wars. The MEDSOVs lasted into the 2003 Iraq invasion, one heavily modified MEDSOV was used in the western Iraq AO during the initial invasion. (mods done by the TC in the pre-invasion staging area, unfortunately he didn't photograph or document his work).

During the 1990s, when these were used by the 75th Ranger Regiment, the rangers were not intended for long duration operations as regular infantry, but for short duration direct action missions such as airfield seizures so they are loaded down with ammo/weapons (the mix as required by the mission), water, barrier materials (razor wire, empty sandbags, tools)and maybe a case or two of rations. Don't load the rig down with the usual tarp rolls, nondescript boxes etc.

John's picture is excellent, you don't really need any more unless you are looking for minor variations like the Mk19 40mm mount or to see the front bumper markings. Those are usually very complex things like a lite grey digit "3" or "2". Not other identifying markings were ever carried, although flight/lift info might be chalked on by the airlift folks before they were loaded onto the aircraft or rigged for airdrop.
Just load the gear is such a manner so that it won't bounce out and strap it down, remember not to overload.
You might also see the individual ranger's ALICE rucksacks strapped on or loaded in the cargo bed.

For a useful collection of RSOV & variant photos, look for Concord's book on the Rangers published around 2000. Most of the book's pictures were taken at 1st Ranger Bn at Hunter AAF circa 1999. There was also a USASOC CAPEX at Ft Bragg in 2002 put on for Pres Bush & his cast of characters that used a variety of SOF platforms, including RSOVs. The USASOC PAO published a great press release full of color photos of the stuff we here like. Search terms like "capabilities demonstration 2002 Ft Bragg" and similar should net you lots of viewing pleasure.

I'd recommend the DMold's resin wheels for the kit. Accurate Armour (& Legends too?) has traffic cones and you can use PE or homemade razor wire rolls but wrap the wire in canvas or heavy brown paper. I'm not sure what PE is out and you don't need decals, save for single grey or yellow digits.
Enjoy.

July 9th, 2012, 2:32 pm #4

Hi Guys,

Many Thanks
Dennis
Guys,
Many thanks for the help. I now have enough information to put the RSOV together in a somewhat correct form.
Dennis