Ram II gun barrel?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Ram II gun barrel?

August 18th, 2012, 6:14 pm #1

I have the Formations Ram II OP conversion that I would like to convert to a gun tank. What after market 6 pounder barrel would be the best for the conversion. Other than adding the gun barrel and leaving the cable reels off the back deck is there anything else that I need to change?

Thanks for any help,
Tom Owens

August 18th, 2012, 9:42 pm #2

Tom

Check :

http://www.ramtank.ca/

This should help you with what you will need to change.

Anthony

August 18th, 2012, 10:45 pm #3

I have the Formations Ram II OP conversion that I would like to convert to a gun tank. What after market 6 pounder barrel would be the best for the conversion. Other than adding the gun barrel and leaving the cable reels off the back deck is there anything else that I need to change?

Thanks for any help,
Tom Owens
Tom,

The key here is to determine what configuration of gun tank you want. There were almost 2000 Ram Mk IIs and they went throught a pretty hefty number of modifications in the two short years they were in production. The Ram OPs were the very last Rams built and had all of the last production configuration items plus a couple more because they were OPs. There were only a few Rams that matched the configuration of the OPs, under 300, so when you see a Ram gun tank in a photo, it will almost certainly be configured differently than the OPs.

If you have a particular vehicle in mind, let me know the census number (CT #) and I can give you a list of the external changes compared to the OPs.

Or, of course, you can buy my Ram books from Service Publications and have the list yourself...

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

August 19th, 2012, 12:52 am #4

Paul's right. I'm going to convert a Formations Ram Badger into a Ram gun tractor using a Tasca lower hull. The website and Paul's two Service Publications titles are indispensible references for doing any Ram variant. Highly recommended. Also recommended are both of the Progress Publishing books on Canadian armored vehicles for color and markings information.

Greg

August 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm #5

Thanks for any help,
Tom Owens
There is a bunch of stuff you have to change and detail. My suggestion is get a good photo and pick one that you can "get there from here" using the Formations conversion. I did mine last year and I am happy with the result but I am sure I missed some items.Decals for a training tank in England will need to be customs.