Railway Guns

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Railway Guns

December 31st, 2011, 7:47 am #1

Happy New Year from Oz,

I've finally twisted my own arm and convinced myself that I need to get a railway gun, it will probably be the K5E but I cannot decide which kit to get, I was hoping there would be a comparison over at PMMS but couldn't find anything...I see Trumpeter and Dragon kits seem to be still available but I believe there was a third manufacturer...is it still around...has anyone got any suggestions.

While on the subject of this huge gun, would they have been transported as a seperate entity or would they have been thrown on the back of a infantry division or armoured division heading to the Eastern Front???

TIA

P

December 31st, 2011, 9:14 am #2

Hello Phil,

Congratulations for your decision to build the K5E. Mine is waiting for that idea since several years.

The third company you had in mind is Azimut/Ironside.

Based on information from build articles, I would go with Dragon.

The Azimut kit is the Dinosaur, perfectly matching the dimensions, but quite simple wrt railway axles and basical layout. It is a multimedia kit containing plastic, resin and PE.
The Dragon and Trumpeter kits are both perfect plastic kits, however Trumpeter had the idea to provide less parts for an easy build and Dragon included much more parts, which makes life not so easy, but finally addesmore detail and finesse to the model.
I have both kits and I am still in favour for the Dragon kit.

If you go with Dragon, there is also the option to invest some money for add ons like a metal barrel (Schatton has one), PE from Eduard and ammunition from several companies like Aber.

Happy modelling
Gert

December 31st, 2011, 9:27 am #3

Happy New Year from Oz,

I've finally twisted my own arm and convinced myself that I need to get a railway gun, it will probably be the K5E but I cannot decide which kit to get, I was hoping there would be a comparison over at PMMS but couldn't find anything...I see Trumpeter and Dragon kits seem to be still available but I believe there was a third manufacturer...is it still around...has anyone got any suggestions.

While on the subject of this huge gun, would they have been transported as a seperate entity or would they have been thrown on the back of a infantry division or armoured division heading to the Eastern Front???

TIA

P
Hello

My Trumpeter K5e is also still waiting for the build
but for your info:

There is a comparison review on de pmms site:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... isc/k5.htm

greetz and a happy 2012

Ronald

December 31st, 2011, 10:24 am #4

Hello Phil,

Congratulations for your decision to build the K5E. Mine is waiting for that idea since several years.

The third company you had in mind is Azimut/Ironside.

Based on information from build articles, I would go with Dragon.

The Azimut kit is the Dinosaur, perfectly matching the dimensions, but quite simple wrt railway axles and basical layout. It is a multimedia kit containing plastic, resin and PE.
The Dragon and Trumpeter kits are both perfect plastic kits, however Trumpeter had the idea to provide less parts for an easy build and Dragon included much more parts, which makes life not so easy, but finally addesmore detail and finesse to the model.
I have both kits and I am still in favour for the Dragon kit.

If you go with Dragon, there is also the option to invest some money for add ons like a metal barrel (Schatton has one), PE from Eduard and ammunition from several companies like Aber.

Happy modelling
Gert
I think Gert is confusing the two kits - I bought Trumpeter & it is far and away the more detailed kit. I checked out a Dragon kit in-shop & it looks like a toy in comparison.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... rd=&page=1
http://www.one35th.com/model/k5/k5_model16.htm
Last edited by Nick Morgan on December 31st, 2011, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2011, 11:58 am #5

From what I remember when I looked through both kits the DML kit seems lacking in detail - almost toylike in places.

The Trumpeter kit is much more detailed. Just wish I'd get round to building mine.

Owen

December 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm #6

I think Gert is confusing the two kits - I bought Trumpeter & it is far and away the more detailed kit. I checked out a Dragon kit in-shop & it looks like a toy in comparison.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... rd=&page=1
http://www.one35th.com/model/k5/k5_model16.htm
.. I have mixed up the quality of the two kits.

It was too long ago to remember it right.

Go with Trumpeter, if you have 6 months spare time for the build
and the additional room for the presentation box.
Greetings
Gert

December 31st, 2011, 5:11 pm #7

Happy New Year from Oz,

TIA

P
but the simplifications on the Dragon kit make for a quicker build. Here are pics of my Leopold.

I mounted my Leo on a plank of shelving for stiffness. Kit tracks nailed and glued directly yo the wood underneath with gravel RR ballast added around.

Cheers,
Val

December 31st, 2011, 8:48 pm #8

Happy New Year from Oz,

TIA

P
Thanks very much for the info guys.

It seems that the consesus is for the Trumpeter, so I'll go with that.

Happy New Year

P