Quilted-insulation facades on stone buildings in the Ardennes ?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Quilted-insulation facades on stone buildings in the Ardennes ?

January 29th, 2012, 8:38 pm #1

I have not had the chance to travel in the Ardennes area of Belgium and Luxemburg, but having the After the Battle books I noticed the "fish scale" or "quilted" insulation facades used on some stone houses. I am assuming that the overlapping square metal panels/tiles are attached to a grid and some type of insulation is laid up between the grid and the outside of the stone wall? Does anyone have any knowledge of how this siding was constructed?

Regards,

Chris
Last edited by syd03qx on January 29th, 2012, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 30th, 2012, 9:23 pm #2

hello Cris,

I believe these are slate tiles.
here is a pic of one of these walls.
[/IMG]
Hope this is of help

All the best

Leon

January 31st, 2012, 5:55 pm #3

Thanks, I did not even consider that the tiles could be slate because I assumed they were just lagging for insulation. I thought they were likely tin or some other light gauge metal plate. I need to dig up a picture of battle damaged wall with these tiles, that I once saw but can't find.

Chris.

February 5th, 2012, 11:54 am #4

Here's a shot from Bastogne .
The tiles appear to be nailed right to the brick work .

[/IMG]
Last edited by G.P.Sudol on February 5th, 2012, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 6th, 2012, 6:19 pm #5

I have not had the chance to travel in the Ardennes area of Belgium and Luxemburg, but having the After the Battle books I noticed the "fish scale" or "quilted" insulation facades used on some stone houses. I am assuming that the overlapping square metal panels/tiles are attached to a grid and some type of insulation is laid up between the grid and the outside of the stone wall? Does anyone have any knowledge of how this siding was constructed?

Regards,

Chris
Hansa Systems has them. the site is : hansasystemsusa.com

February 14th, 2012, 2:00 am #6

n/t