Questions on some SpCW markings

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Questions on some SpCW markings

May 20th, 2012, 9:38 am #1

Dear Sirs,
Maybe someone could help me with these markings.
A Pz I 'Modificado' (#334) have an all white diamond as a marking.
But what is the marking inside it?

Same tank can be seen on another photo together with a T-26 (#338?),
the T-26 have the same white diamond, but I'm not sure if there is anything painted inside the diamond or not.
Any suggestions?

Johan Lexell,
www.bison-decals.com
Last edited by Johan Lexell on May 26th, 2012, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 7:21 pm #2

Hej Johan!

I am in no way an expert on SpCW but I have gathered some rather nice references over the years.
I would like to recomend a booklet from Galland Books, Stug3 Collection. There is one booklet called "Blindado Alemans En El Ejercito de Franco".

http://www.aresenyalius.es/catalogo/vir ... cion-stug3

The booklet is in spanish only but have a lot of nice illustrations, among the colourplates with these diamondshaped markings. Most semms to show letters like an "M" or "E".
I would recomend that you get these booklets, they are in the same format as the Osprey booklets.

Yours,

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

May 25th, 2012, 5:22 pm #3

Thank you very much Erik.
B, M or E. It might be a B or an E but I don't really think the blurry shape on the Modificado photo matches any of these letters - possible a B?

Johan Lexell,
www.bison-decals.com

May 25th, 2012, 6:01 pm #4

Doesent look like a letter rather assembles the "Coat of Arms" seen stilized in white or black on tanks.

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

www.c4-open.nu
Last edited by Erik_Ahlstroem on May 25th, 2012, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 2:38 am #5

As the letters was handpainted, it might of course be a not so good 'B'
If there is any letter inside the T-26 (#338), might be impossible to say unless there is another photo of this tank.

Johan Lexell,
www.bison-decals.com

May 27th, 2012, 10:48 am #6

Hi Gents:

The letter inside the white over white diamond (1st batallion,3th company,3th section) is an "E".It is not clear if that "E" stands for "España" (Spain) or "Especial"(Special)-
The "M" inside the circle on PzI stands for "Mando" (Command).This was a company command vehicle.
There are neither letters nor coats of arms inside the diamonds on T-26.This is a visual effect of shadows.
I hope this can help.
BR
Alberto

May 28th, 2012, 2:10 am #7

Thanks for the info Alberto.
So there were no 'B'. That should only be a badly painted 'E' plus bad quality of the photo?

Johan Lexell,
www.bison-decals.com