Questions about James Blackwells painting method

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Questions about James Blackwells painting method

June 4th, 2005, 9:29 pm #1

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/ge ... bpaint.htm

Who uses this method, I'd like to know if the colours used in step 2 (post shading) would apply to any camoflauge scheme, I'm building a Wespe and will be using the dark yellow with dark green scheme.
Also I'm considering fully assembling before painting as in the article but will leave the gun and tracks separate until the pastel stage.
I don't want to apply a 'mud mix' as I prefer a cleaner look which doesn't hide the details, but will use the pastels to get that dusty, weathered look, hopefully.

June 5th, 2005, 11:05 am #2

Finished this last week - my first model in 25+ years. Very easy to implement James method, and quite easy to hide mistakes. I base coated the wheels before assembly, and attached all tools and cables just prior to adding the mud.

June 5th, 2005, 11:55 pm #3

Thats very impressive, I like that toned down faded look, so you painted it with the tracks in place?

June 6th, 2005, 6:38 am #4

With Blacken-it, and replaced on the model just prior to the application of the mud

June 11th, 2005, 3:51 pm #5

Finished this last week - my first model in 25+ years. Very easy to implement James method, and quite easy to hide mistakes. I base coated the wheels before assembly, and attached all tools and cables just prior to adding the mud.

Beautiful job! How did you do the mud?

June 12th, 2005, 5:03 pm #6

Mud was a mixture of:
Fine grey railway ballast - 50% ground fine, 50% left normal
Two types of fine brown railway 'scatter'
Green and brown static grass
Tamiya Nato Brown
Tamiya flat white - mix until required shade
Water

Note* The wet mix is MUCH darker than the dried finish - be aware when adding the white to the mix
Highlights and tones were airbushed onto the mud using Tamiya Nato Brown+Hull red 50/50, 70/30 thinners/paint, and also Tamiyas buff (same ratio)