Question regarding "Lucky Model"

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Question regarding "Lucky Model"

February 3rd, 2018, 9:04 pm #1

Good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions/experiences ordering from Lucky Model. I'm considering doing a Pre Order on a kit from them (I've never ordered from them before) and was looking to see if this is a "straight up" company to do business with or not. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. I just got through reading some reviews about them and most if not all are positive. However, if you have a Pre-Order item that never gets shipped for some reason, how are they about refunds?

Cheers.
Last edited by Chris Charles on February 3rd, 2018, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm #2

I've been ordering from Lucky for over 15 years, not much of a problem. It takes about 15-20 days to deliver. Like most shops they might say a product is in stock...but it really isn't...that's only happened a few times...
On pre-order, they'll send it when it's in stock.....

February 4th, 2018, 12:01 am #3

I have Hobby Easy on my last 3 and quick shipping, and price was good.

February 4th, 2018, 4:59 am #4

Good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions/experiences ordering from Lucky Model. I'm considering doing a Pre Order on a kit from them (I've never ordered from them before) and was looking to see if this is a "straight up" company to do business with or not. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. I just got through reading some reviews about them and most if not all are positive. However, if you have a Pre-Order item that never gets shipped for some reason, how are they about refunds?

Cheers.
They are OK. Sometimes when they are waiting stock it may take a while to get the kit, but you will eventually.
No issues so far.

February 4th, 2018, 12:54 pm #5

Regards,

Chris

Cheers.
Go to Lucky Model via the link on Terry Ashley's front pagehttp://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/
If it earns him a few cents & helps keep PMMS going, the world is a better place.

February 4th, 2018, 1:44 pm #6

Regards,

Chris

Cheers.
Just curious. I can understand if the kit is supposed to be a limited production item, but I don't see the advantage if it is a run-of-the-mill item, especially since it may turn out to be awful.

KL

February 4th, 2018, 4:37 pm #7

Regards,

Chris

Cheers.
Unless its some weird, super limited, obscure resin thing that they make 9 of, I would never pre order anything.

For one, half the time I see people pre order stuff, the vendor they pre order with is always the LAST one to get it. For example, Tamiya releases a lot of their kits in the USA first and Japan/Asia later. So, if you live in the USA and pre order from Asia, everyone in the USA will have their kit and you will be waiting two months longer for your "pre order" kit.

The kit may turn out to be poor, and you are stuck with it because you pre ordered it.

While some places have good pre order prices, in most instances, once a kit is out for a bit, you can get better prices and deals versus what you pay to be the first person on the block to get it.

Some places charge your credit card in advance on pre orders, and then when the kit is postponed, delayed or whatever, you have still paid for it even if you have to wait 9 months later or the kit.

If you follow your favorite online shop, they usually send out regular emails with new stuff. When the kit shows up just order it versus pre ordering. In almost every case they get enough kits to cover the pre orders and you don't miss out.

As for Lucky, I use them all the time and have for years. The only things to pay attention to are to make sure things are IN STOCK and not "AVAILABLE", which means the item is/was/has been issued and available at some time. They have a better inventory tracking system now so unless it says they have just 1 of an item left, you are probably good to go. Also, they are generally non responsive to emails sent to them from outside of their customer account system. So, if you need to contact them, log into your account and thhen open up a contact ticket that way. They are generally very helpful then.

It's Chinese new year for the month of February so good luck contacting most Asian vendors and things like shipping, responses, order processing etc will be veyr slow unti March.
DAVID NICKELS

February 4th, 2018, 5:55 pm #8

Just curious. I can understand if the kit is supposed to be a limited production item, but I don't see the advantage if it is a run-of-the-mill item, especially since it may turn out to be awful.

KL
Hey Kurt. It's Rye Field Models new Panther G with the transparent hull & turret. From what I've heard, it's a limited item. Wanted to get my order in before they either all sell out or are scooped up by sellers who want to sell it at double the price.

Regards,

Chris.

February 4th, 2018, 5:57 pm #9

Go to Lucky Model via the link on Terry Ashley's front pagehttp://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/
If it earns him a few cents & helps keep PMMS going, the world is a better place.
Thanks for the tip Nick. I'll do that.

Cheers,

Chris

February 6th, 2018, 11:38 am #10

Regards,

Chris

Cheers.
First of all, it's nothing wrong with Lucky Model. They are good but it helps if you're aware of their practice.
Most of the time you get what you orders, pretty quickly.

However, when you don't get one, here's my tips.

1. Note that whatever order you place, the price is charged right away, whether it's in stock or not.
2. Be careful not to order "Available" items, regardless of whatever re-stocking time they say.
3. Sometimes, even the "in stock" items turn out to be not in stock.

If your order somehow are not sent within reasonable time, check the status in your profile and contact their customer service. In most cases you get more detailed information and estimated date. In case it takes too long or they don't know when they can get your products, request a refund. I always get my refund. this is what good about them.

A friend of mine placed an order for an aircraft model but it was not in stock. He waited and then forgot he had ordered it. A package was delivered to his home some 2 years later. I had to remind him to check his Lucky Model profile to see he actually ordered it. And like number 1, they took your money from day one.

Best,
Nanond