Question for our European friends

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Question for our European friends

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

November 16th, 2001, 3:53 pm #1

Greetings,

Small town - France or Belgium - does anyone know what the cross-section of a cobble street would be? That is, the cobbles have mortar joints and I would assume a mortar setting bed, but would there typically be a support slab of some kind, or would the cobble be placed directly on compacted earth?

I'm planning on doing a portion of the street torn-up and want to do the right thing.

Thanks,
Barry

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

November 16th, 2001, 4:45 pm #2

I always saw sand in between the cobbles. They are not held together by mortar, concrete or asphalt, but set on (hardened in some way, but I don't know the details) earth, fixed by earth in between them. Mortar would be not so flexible, thus cracking quickly.
But this is my general observation, maybe it is not always true?
HTH

marijn

PS: but maybe someone more experienced with real-life road construction can help us further here?

Ian Sadler
Ian Sadler

November 16th, 2001, 7:19 pm #3

Greetings,

Small town - France or Belgium - does anyone know what the cross-section of a cobble street would be? That is, the cobbles have mortar joints and I would assume a mortar setting bed, but would there typically be a support slab of some kind, or would the cobble be placed directly on compacted earth?

I'm planning on doing a portion of the street torn-up and want to do the right thing.

Thanks,
Barry
hi normaly the cobbles or sets as we call them are laid edge to edge no cement in between and they are laid on a bed of gravel over larger rocks then even larger rocks then the earth , this is to help in drainage of water, in Nottingham were i live they have just dug up an area of 19th cent cobble this is how i know cheers ian

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

November 17th, 2001, 1:08 pm #4

Greetings,

Thanks,
Barry
I'm not sure about cobblestones, but modern street bricks (not sure of the English term for them) are laid on a layer of (fairly coarse) sand, with the bricks sitting tightly against each other. Once a section of street is finished, more sand is brushed over the top so it will settle in the seams between the bricks, though much of this gets washed and blown away pretty soon. I suppose cobble stones are/were laid in a similar way.