Question for Mike Mummey

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Question for Mike Mummey

June 14th, 2012, 4:52 pm #1

Hi Mike
I was wondering if you could help me please as i am building a USMC Abrams from a pic in Concords Marines on the ground book 2. The Tank in question is called Lionheart from 2nd tanks nr Hadithah 2005.
Q1= Did these tanks have the extended bustle racks like the one in the dragon sep kit
Q2=Did these tanks have the telephone box on the rear.
Q3= Did these tanks have the type of tracks supplied in the Tamiya A2 kit or with the open guide horns.
Q4= What is if possible the tanks serial no.
I have only a head on photo so carn't see any of the above.

Hope you can help

John

June 14th, 2012, 9:14 pm #2

...But I guess this picture should help with some of your questions :

H.P.

June 14th, 2012, 11:24 pm #3

Hi Mike
I was wondering if you could help me please as i am building a USMC Abrams from a pic in Concords Marines on the ground book 2. The Tank in question is called Lionheart from 2nd tanks nr Hadithah 2005.
Q1= Did these tanks have the extended bustle racks like the one in the dragon sep kit
Q3= Did these tanks have the type of tracks supplied in the Tamiya A2 kit or with the open guide horns.

Hope you can help

John
Howdy John, here is what I came up with, even before Henri posted that nice flank shot of Lion Heart.

A1- Yes.
A2- Yes. However it was the early type made of a light gage metal with a cheesey locking latch. Not the one that comes in the Dragon #3536 SEP kit.
A3- Use the track in the Dragon SEP kit #3536 with the hollow center guides. The hollow center guides show up well in the picture Henri posted. In the picture in the Concord OIF pt 2 book you can see that there is a mix of solid and hollow center guides on the spare track mounted on the side of the turret.
A4- I do not know Lion Hearts' exact six digit USMC serial number. Here are some of the serials used on the hogs of the two companies(A & C Co, 2Tk BN) in Fallujah November, 2004: 5797XX, 5723XX, 5877XX, 5724XX, 58780X.

I am getting the serial number ranges from a BDA report of 18 November, 2004. I still have yet to track down the roster that matches the serial number to the Tac Mark(bumper number)which will point to Lion Hearts actual six digit number. Those are my best answers at this point in time. Happy USMC Modeling.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on June 15th, 2012, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 14th, 2012, 11:30 pm #4

H.P.
Thank you for posting up that nice shot of Lion Heart. I guess it is time to reach out to some folks at 2nd Tanks and see if someone knows which company Lion Heart was a part of.

June 15th, 2012, 1:50 am #5

H.P.
Cheers!

Had me fooled, sorry it's real. These days the models are so detailed and well painted that if you photographed them under the correct lights...

Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence Goh on June 15th, 2012, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 5:13 am #6

..But I agree it's not that obvious

H.P.

June 15th, 2012, 1:25 pm #7

Hi Mike

Hope you can help

John
But I do play him on TV!

Pat
MMiR

"My friend does not worry, all friendly are fanatical of steel of the tank."

June 15th, 2012, 4:16 pm #8

Howdy John, here is what I came up with, even before Henri posted that nice flank shot of Lion Heart.

A1- Yes.
A2- Yes. However it was the early type made of a light gage metal with a cheesey locking latch. Not the one that comes in the Dragon #3536 SEP kit.
A3- Use the track in the Dragon SEP kit #3536 with the hollow center guides. The hollow center guides show up well in the picture Henri posted. In the picture in the Concord OIF pt 2 book you can see that there is a mix of solid and hollow center guides on the spare track mounted on the side of the turret.
A4- I do not know Lion Hearts' exact six digit USMC serial number. Here are some of the serials used on the hogs of the two companies(A & C Co, 2Tk BN) in Fallujah November, 2004: 5797XX, 5723XX, 5877XX, 5724XX, 58780X.

I am getting the serial number ranges from a BDA report of 18 November, 2004. I still have yet to track down the roster that matches the serial number to the Tac Mark(bumper number)which will point to Lion Hearts actual six digit number. Those are my best answers at this point in time. Happy USMC Modeling.
Hi Henri thank you for that nice side view of lionheart it certainly helps.
Mike- thank you also for you quick responce to my questions,i am most gratefull.
I want to make my build as accurate as i can. One more question if i may, would the sprocket rings possibly be differant on either side or would they allways be the same as i've assembled the ones without the scalloping?

Thanx once again

John

June 15th, 2012, 5:16 pm #9

Scalloped in the picture John. nt

June 15th, 2012, 6:16 pm #10

thanks mike, just gonna have to change em arn't i.

atb
john