Question about Pigments...............

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Question about Pigments...............

July 6th, 2012, 12:27 am #1

What does the fixer do??

I put some pigments on my tracks, thick coat because I wanted half of the track recess filled in to simulate dry mud, but find that the fixer doesn't really fix it.

Should I use the resin or just mix in some plaster?? I was hoping that I could use the pigments dry.

THANKS!!!!

July 6th, 2012, 1:28 am #2

Ron I would sagest you leave what you have there are mix some plaster in with the pigments and then mix in some thinner, I use humbrols. then force the mud in the recesses. once dry finger rub of the excess dirt. Then mount the tracks and mask the areas where you don't want mud to go. Once that is done flick with a stiff brush your mixture on the tracks and wheels.
I also mix real dirt into my pigments to add texture the more real dirt the heavier the texture.

July 6th, 2012, 5:57 am #3

first picture, how did you do the scratches?? They look really nice.

Ron

July 6th, 2012, 9:20 am #4

Ron i use Vallejo paint with a fine brush,lightly run you brush in a long stroke along the areas where you want the scratches.

July 6th, 2012, 9:10 pm #5

the pigments dry. I use straight Tamiya X20A thinner (Acrylic type} in an empty Vallejo paint bottle. I apply the pigments dry with a sculpting tool and using the Tamiya thinner let out a few drops Gently over the pigments. To create a "rougher" texture I will add a tiny bit more dry pigment while the thinner is still damp.Let dry a few hours.

I learned this technique from some issues of MMIR a few years back. Works great!

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

July 6th, 2012, 11:46 pm #6

nt