Question about a certian type of snow for my 1/35 dios

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Question about a certian type of snow for my 1/35 dios

January 6th, 2008, 3:16 pm #1

What do you use for that smooth "clumpy" snow that ive seen in a few dioramas in the gallery? I already know about the woodland scenic micro-ballons sprikle stuff but thats not what im talking about. I mean that look that you see on the candy houses and whatnot. what do you use for that kind of snow look? thanks

Perry

January 6th, 2008, 3:31 pm #2

Try some celluclay. Mix in some white water-based paint (water based only), add a shot of white glue and boom! clumpy snow. Do be sure to have whatever base you choose sealed or impervious to the water that will be in the celluclay mix.

Hope this helps,
Dave

January 7th, 2008, 4:28 pm #3

you'll have clumpy white celluclay but no snow sparkle. Without the sparkle it just looks like white clumpy stuff, not snow.
I would recommend trying to find some SmallshopEU Snow-Coat here in the US-a great product that really looks like snow and in a resonable scale. After establishing a white base of celluclay or white foam form over coat with watered down white glue and sprinkle the SnowCoat over the glue. The Celluclay or foam gives you the shape and SnowCoat gives you the snow sparkle. Some of the "sparkle" mediums you might find at the craft shop will be way out of scale.
Another option might be to do as Dave recommends but add some white sparkle craft paint to the mix or over paint later and that might give you the snow look. I would still recommend SnowCoat if possible
Regards bobC

January 7th, 2008, 6:05 pm #4

What do you use for that smooth "clumpy" snow that ive seen in a few dioramas in the gallery? I already know about the woodland scenic micro-ballons sprikle stuff but thats not what im talking about. I mean that look that you see on the candy houses and whatnot. what do you use for that kind of snow look? thanks

Perry
Go to your local hobby store/craft center (aka Michaels or hobby Lobby) and find their snow products. They are usually a spackle-like consistency but thin with water. Some have added sparkly. It's only a couple of bucks for a good sized tub and it lasts forever. It dries rock hard and can be painted. It's also very handy to thin out and use as mud/dirt. mix in some dark paint and white glue and stipple it on the underside of your vehicle and voila! mud-looking stuff.

January 7th, 2008, 7:19 pm #5

Perry
http://missing-lynx.com/gallery/dio/tmard.htm

click on the link to see the snow im trying to get. let me know what you think!

January 10th, 2008, 2:57 pm #6

Perry,
Did you try contacting Tomi directly ? From the look of his snow I would experiment with a celluclay base with white paint mixed in and then on top of that add in a snowcoat. The stuff the others mentioned from Michael's and Hobby Lobby is cheap. From the pictures of Tomi's snow, I think what makes it look so good is that he really spent the time working on the texture of the snow. It does look a little "flat" from the pictures though. A little sparkle would liven it up a bit.

Jim Guld
Cheers
Jim Guld

January 11th, 2008, 3:39 pm #7

http://missing-lynx.com/gallery/dio/tmard.htm

click on the link to see the snow im trying to get. let me know what you think!
Hi!
http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_1094/
There Tomi told, the way he made that snow. It`s baking-soda, and gently sprayed water over soda layer. After that, he have painted soda layer with white house paint. He repeated this 2-3 times , so snow comes "clumpy"

I have made snow mixing white glue with baking soda, and sprayed matt varnish over that snow.

its worth to try if its works.

I hope you find out what I'm trying to say with my english....
cheers Jouni