PZ IV D up-armoured

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

PZ IV D up-armoured

May 8th, 2012, 8:24 pm #1

When the PZ IV D was up-armoured (the added upper hull armour plates), did they also have added lower-side-hull armour?? I know the "E" had the lower-side-hull armour.

I have a few pics of "D" with the added armour (mostly from Africa) but cannot see the hull sides behind the wheels. Anyone know and have some pics??

May 9th, 2012, 4:16 am #2

Some of the late production Pz IV Ausf D's did get the added bolt-on 20mm armor to the upper and lower hull/superstructure sides as well as the 30mm to the front hull & superstructure. Also, most Pz IV's of any type probably recieved the the add-on armor when sent back to Germany for overhaul too.

HTH
Last edited by csosus on May 9th, 2012, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 6:28 am #3

Anyone have pics.
Last edited by tanker3 on May 9th, 2012, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 6:53 am #4

When the PZ IV D was up-armoured (the added upper hull armour plates), did they also have added lower-side-hull armour?? I know the "E" had the lower-side-hull armour.

I have a few pics of "D" with the added armour (mostly from Africa) but cannot see the hull sides behind the wheels. Anyone know and have some pics??
Hello Kingston:

Perhaps the Aberdeen Pz IV D/E?

The book 'Achtung Panzer No. 3 - Pz IV' mention it as a 'Pzkpfw IV D reworked' and it has the lower side hull armour. The same book states or better suggest that the late Pz IV D had this type of 'applique armor' (page 31, No. 74) but without the fuel filler (Ausf E).

Sincerely I do not know for sure if the former Aberdeen PZ IV (located today at Fort Lee, VA ?) is originally a D or an E, because at first glance its characteristics seems to be related with both of them.

I have taken some pics of it by myself at Aberdeen PG in 2006. If you are interested, I have already published these images in my web site. Just search my full name in google, "Hernando Valencia Parias", and it will appear on the first place. Then check the section "walkarounds".

Sorry for the latter but I do not know if I can mention my modelling/non profit site in the forum.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hernando Valencia

May 9th, 2012, 10:13 am #5

The APG Ausf D was upgraded to "Ausf G" during its service life, so there's no way to know if the side armour was present when it was an original D.
This picture of it, with KwK 40, as captured, was posted here some months back.

May 9th, 2012, 2:38 pm #6

pics that I have. I have more color photos of the museum vehicle, I don't know where this vehicle is, I found these pics on the net somewhere. If you would like a few more of these pics, let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

May 9th, 2012, 2:49 pm #7

The first image of an Ausf E shows the more common type of "missing" armour. You will find that vehicles were fitted with additional plates to the hull and superstructure sides together as a set but there were a few that left the factory without frontal plates, you can see the brackets around the MG but no armour.

This happened to both D & E and had something to do with the different production process (face hardening?) that delayed this armour.

Craog (8wheels-good)
http://8wheels-good.blogspot.co.uk/
Craig (8wheels-good)
https://www.facebook.com/8wheelsgoodPzIVarchive/
http://8wheels-good.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/8wheels-good

May 9th, 2012, 3:19 pm #8

Cover the add on hull armor
DAVID NICKELS