Progress on the A9 Cruiser Upgrade

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Progress on the A9 Cruiser Upgrade

November 17th, 2016, 11:08 am #1

Morning All
I've been flitting around a number of tasks, getting very close to finish each - but not quite. Overnight I had a chance to build the prototype of the A9 and so I thought that those of you who have expressed an interest might like to have a look. Here are the pictures:

You will, no doubt, notice the asymetric dust shields. Also noteworthy is that the driver's position can be built open.

In addition to the brass parts shown, there will be some resin too. I'm doing replacement MG sub-turrets, a replacement periscope for the commander's cupola, a resin exhaust system, and PoW stowage for the rear.

One oddity I've found with the PSC kit is that the collar which supports the turret has been moulded as part of the turret rather than part of the hull. With the other clean-up necessary for fitting the brass, it isn't too much trouble to take a razor saw to the collar - as below. I've then attached a disk of plastic card to the top with a pre-drilled centre. There is a riveted brass collar which attaches around the circumference, which hides any cutting. Note the carving necessary on the driver's position, and the front and rear mud guards removed to be replaced with the plastic from the incorrect Desert hull.

Hope that's whetted some appetites.

All the best
Dan

www.dantaylormodelworks.com
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

November 17th, 2016, 4:34 pm #2

It has certainly has whetted mine Dan. Are you going to do a track upgrade as well? Tim Treadway

November 17th, 2016, 7:58 pm #3

Morning All
I've been flitting around a number of tasks, getting very close to finish each - but not quite. Overnight I had a chance to build the prototype of the A9 and so I thought that those of you who have expressed an interest might like to have a look. Here are the pictures:

You will, no doubt, notice the asymetric dust shields. Also noteworthy is that the driver's position can be built open.

In addition to the brass parts shown, there will be some resin too. I'm doing replacement MG sub-turrets, a replacement periscope for the commander's cupola, a resin exhaust system, and PoW stowage for the rear.

One oddity I've found with the PSC kit is that the collar which supports the turret has been moulded as part of the turret rather than part of the hull. With the other clean-up necessary for fitting the brass, it isn't too much trouble to take a razor saw to the collar - as below. I've then attached a disk of plastic card to the top with a pre-drilled centre. There is a riveted brass collar which attaches around the circumference, which hides any cutting. Note the carving necessary on the driver's position, and the front and rear mud guards removed to be replaced with the plastic from the incorrect Desert hull.

All the best
Dan

Hi Dan,

that's really nice! I am looking forward this set!

Regards
Tomas

November 17th, 2016, 8:23 pm #4

Morning All

All the best
Dan

as usual Da, not my thing but I can appreciate quality when I see it

November 18th, 2016, 12:48 am #5

It has certainly has whetted mine Dan. Are you going to do a track upgrade as well? Tim Treadway
Hello Tim
Thanks for the post - I hope to bring it out in the next two or three weeks. The tracks are a bigger undertaking but I'm looking at ways to accomplish something. Watch this space.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

November 18th, 2016, 12:48 am #6

Hi Dan,

that's really nice! I am looking forward this set!

Regards
Tomas
Hello Tomas
Glad to hear you like it , shouldn't be long now.

All the best
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

November 18th, 2016, 12:49 am #7

as usual Da, not my thing but I can appreciate quality when I see it
Hello Paul
Thanks for that - there's plenty more coming along to tempt you...

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

November 18th, 2016, 8:08 am #8

Morning All

All the best
Dan

going to make that kit pop for sure,
not sure how the removal of the mudguard come into it?
I'm sure it will become clear once I get one & read your instructions
(sounds like you start on the spare non Desert hull)

Cheers Elliott

November 18th, 2016, 1:52 pm #9

Hello Elliott
Thanks for your response.

The messing about with the hulls works like this: The desert hull has the incorrect RHS full sand skirt which would have to be removed from both sides in order to fit the replacements. I judged it simpler, therefore, to use the hull top without the desert shields. The problem with this is that the front and back sections of the track guard are shorter on this and so swapping them with the pieces removed from the desert version makes everything work.

Hope that's clear.

All the best
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

November 18th, 2016, 8:37 pm #10

Thanks, that makes sense
Cheers Elliott