Problems with Future

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Problems with Future

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

December 30th, 2003, 10:46 am #1

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to cure this particular problem.

I use Future as most of do, to seal the paint before starting the washes. I just finished an M10 - I painted it OD oveall then lightened the OD with 20% Dark Yellow to make the paint faded.

When I sprayed on the Future, the paint darkened dramatically so it now looks like I painted it with Black Green. I put the decals on, let them cure and then did the oil wash. Then I ud a dull coat and the model still look way too dark.

This only happens when I use Future on OD and then not always. Any ideas out there what I did wrong and what I can do to correct it?

Steve

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

December 30th, 2003, 9:54 pm #2

nt

December 31st, 2003, 2:32 am #3

Hi,

I use Future as most of do, to seal the paint before starting the washes. I just finished an M10 - I painted it OD oveall then lightened the OD with 20% Dark Yellow to make the paint faded.

When I sprayed on the Future, the paint darkened dramatically so it now looks like I painted it with Black Green. I put the decals on, let them cure and then did the oil wash. Then I ud a dull coat and the model still look way too dark.

This only happens when I use Future on OD and then not always. Any ideas out there what I did wrong and what I can do to correct it?

Steve
Just asked the same question over on Track Link. I wasn't as specific. The person who answered my question said that you have to have a huge contrast in colors. He said he thought he screwed up but it looked fine after gloss coating. I did use Tamiya OD this time but usually note the problem with any color but white.
Eric

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Calvin and Hobbs 1990
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

Calvin and Hobbs 1990

bryan kennedy
bryan kennedy

December 31st, 2003, 3:44 pm #4

Hi,

Steve
Gloss over flat does funny things--like trap light rather than reflect it. What I do is lots of different oil washes with yellow ocher and linen oil colors. Little dots of oil can be spread around with thinner to cover large areas, don't let it go in the nooks and crannies. The color drys translucent--build up enough of them and the paint looks faded.

Johan Detruyer
Johan Detruyer

January 2nd, 2004, 5:37 pm #5

Hi,

Steve
As soon as you spray a matt or satin varnish over your vehicle - after the wash - the natural colour you painted it in, together with all subtle highlights, will return. It's becausse it's so very glossy that it looks very dark.
Put your panic switch off, and please continue your model !!

Kind regards (and best wishes)

Johan

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

January 3rd, 2004, 11:38 am #6

Didn't happen. I varnished with Future and then spayed with Acryl matt. Didn't change a thing.

Steve

Johan Detruyer
Johan Detruyer

January 3rd, 2004, 5:38 pm #7

I used it several times on allied OD finishes, had the same "panic"-feeling when it all darkened, but everytime I spray a matt finish the original colours and shadings etc come back...
The only difference I can see is that I used Humbrol matt and not acrylic matt.
Is your vehicle really matt now, or still glossy ?

kind regards, Johan

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

January 3rd, 2004, 7:57 pm #8

It's matt, not glossy, but still WAY to dark.

This has happened before and just once did the original shades return after spraying with acryl flat.

The bottle of Future that I have is about 3 years old. Is it possible that it's age has changed it's properties somewhat?

Perplexed in Massachusetts

Steve

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

January 4th, 2004, 1:49 pm #9

I'am also perplexed in Massachusetts!!!

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

January 5th, 2004, 1:28 pm #10

How bout you?

Steve