Primer question

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Primer question

May 3rd, 2009, 12:55 pm #1

G'day All,
Just a real quick question. What is the best primer to use on resin products? A friend asked me to pose this question for his 1:1 scale E-11 blaster kit that he is building. Thanks in advance.

May 3rd, 2009, 3:57 pm #2

... but it's good to clean the resin thoroughly first.

Cheers,

Christophe

May 5th, 2009, 9:42 pm #3

G'day All,
Just a real quick question. What is the best primer to use on resin products? A friend asked me to pose this question for his 1:1 scale E-11 blaster kit that he is building. Thanks in advance.
Automotive primer surfacers are good and may be a bit cheaper than Tamiya if thats a consideration. Any brand from your local car parts shop.....usually they are available in other colours than just the traditional grey which can be handy depending on what the top coat is (sorry I have no idea what an E-11 Blaster is!!!!!!!)

As Christophe says degreasing the resin is the most important thing. It usually has a film of release agent which prevents the paint from keying.

Regards Dave