"Prelude to disaster - Stalingrad, October 1942"

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

"Prelude to disaster - Stalingrad, October 1942"

February 5th, 2013, 8:44 pm #1

Herewith a few pics of my latest dio. The base is Masterpiece Models' "Ruined Factory" with a scratchbuilt "roof" and some additional rubble. The figures are Stalingrad's "Mortar crew", "Squad leader" and "Ammo carrier".

I've always wanted to build a Stalingrad factory dio, but does not have Dan Capuano's courage to do a massive three-storey dio with over twenty figures! This was an easy compromise with a relatively small base and not too many figures, but all of them in dynamic poses to create an atmosphere of urban fighting.

Hope you like it.

February 5th, 2013, 9:52 pm #2

Hi
It makes you glad you weren't there - well done.

Esp. like the groundwork. I wonder if some of the rust tones could be varied a bit.

Cheers
Andrew

February 5th, 2013, 10:01 pm #3

Herewith a few pics of my latest dio. The base is Masterpiece Models' "Ruined Factory" with a scratchbuilt "roof" and some additional rubble. The figures are Stalingrad's "Mortar crew", "Squad leader" and "Ammo carrier".

I've always wanted to build a Stalingrad factory dio, but does not have Dan Capuano's courage to do a massive three-storey dio with over twenty figures! This was an easy compromise with a relatively small base and not too many figures, but all of them in dynamic poses to create an atmosphere of urban fighting.

Hope you like it.

This is one of the best pieces I have seen on ere or on the internet. Your abilities are really humbling, and the diorama creates a feeling of loss and sorrow, at least for me.

February 6th, 2013, 12:57 am #4

Hope you like it.

..........as you know, it's a little special to me. Fantastic work...........hope to see more from you,

Cheers
Ben

February 6th, 2013, 6:53 am #5

Hi
It makes you glad you weren't there - well done.

Esp. like the groundwork. I wonder if some of the rust tones could be varied a bit.

Cheers
Andrew
Thank you Andrew. The pictures are not very good, so the variations that there are on the rust tones do not really come out clearly. Maybe I'll have to trade in my Coolpix or ask a friend with a more performant camera to help me out in future... This was my first go at major rust effetcs too, so I still have a lot to learn.

February 6th, 2013, 6:57 am #6

This is one of the best pieces I have seen on ere or on the internet. Your abilities are really humbling, and the diorama creates a feeling of loss and sorrow, at least for me.
Thank you very much, you are way too kind! Very glad that you mention the feeling of loss and sorrow the scene gives you, as that is exactly what I tried to create.

February 6th, 2013, 7:03 am #7

..........as you know, it's a little special to me. Fantastic work...........hope to see more from you,

Cheers
Ben
Thanks Ben, very kind of you!

February 6th, 2013, 1:20 pm #8

Thank you very much, you are way too kind! Very glad that you mention the feeling of loss and sorrow the scene gives you, as that is exactly what I tried to create.
at least not perfectly. The French 'Tristesse' I believe conveys it. I really admire the German Armed Forces as the Paragon of military discipline, valor and even virtue not seen since Ancient Sparta. No other fighting force in the history of humanity could find itself pitted against almost every major power on Earth, and still almost win. It's like a chess match where the other side has three times the amount of material, and almost beats them. Tragically the incompetence of the political leadership at top doomed these men, among other factors.
Your diorama really conveys the professionalism of the vaunted deutsche Wehrmacht, while suggesting the eventual outcome notwithstanding such heroism. This is a most fitting tribute. It is really very moving.

February 6th, 2013, 3:31 pm #9

Hope you like it.

history very well. The figs are just beautifully done as well as the building ruin and groundwork. Nice job"hanging" the personal equipment and adding convincing straps,etc. Top notch. I am also loving the fact that you have the correct amount of rubble for such destruction. Kudos Sir!!!
J

February 6th, 2013, 6:52 pm #10

at least not perfectly. The French 'Tristesse' I believe conveys it. I really admire the German Armed Forces as the Paragon of military discipline, valor and even virtue not seen since Ancient Sparta. No other fighting force in the history of humanity could find itself pitted against almost every major power on Earth, and still almost win. It's like a chess match where the other side has three times the amount of material, and almost beats them. Tragically the incompetence of the political leadership at top doomed these men, among other factors.
Your diorama really conveys the professionalism of the vaunted deutsche Wehrmacht, while suggesting the eventual outcome notwithstanding such heroism. This is a most fitting tribute. It is really very moving.
I totally agree with you and that is one of the saddest things about the Battle of Stalingrad, except for the lives lost and the destruction caused - that the 6th Army was sacrificed for the sake of one man's vanity...

Another striking thing about the battle for me is the comparison between the photographs of confident youngsters on a train heading for Stalingrad and those taken hardly six months later of the same youngsters, now lice-ridden and starving, looking like old men. And then also the attempted rescue attempt by Hoth's tanks and how the thousands trapped in the kessel started burning their greatcoats and other equipment in order to run faster when their rescuers arrive, only to hear the sounds of battle fade away again in the distance after a few days... How terribly sad that is.

I suppose you have seen that incredible two-part documentary on the Battle in which they talk to survivors from both sides - one of the best documentaries about the war that I have seen until now.