Postal Services or lack of them...

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Postal Services or lack of them...

March 17th, 2009, 10:23 pm #1

Open question to all the forum members; what is your general opinion of the various postal services upon which most of us depend for our hobby supplies?

A bit of a leading question of course, as yet another of my outgoing parcels seems to be taking the scenic route from Sunny Bristol to 'Somewhere in Germany'. Frankly, the rubbish service I seem to be getting from the Post Office and their overseas partners is starting to really get my goat!! Some of you may remember my last model business, PP Models, which ran for over 14 years. During that time, I think we lost about 4 or 5 parcels during the whole time of operations. Now, I've had just as many go astray just in 2009!! and that is less than 3 months!!!! And that is on top of the dozen or so that disappeared in 2008.

Up to now, I've bitten the bullet and sent replacements, but I simply can't go on subsidising our rubbish postal service in this way. So, I either change the type of service I use, to a 'Guaranteed Delivery' or 'Signed on Delivery' type, or change the service to TNT or similar, both of which will require increasing the postal charges.  Or carry on as now, but make it very clear to customers that if there parcel goes astray in the post, it isn't my fault!

Frankly I think this is a dreadful situation. I take my customers money to provide a service, pass that on to the Post Office and they just shrug their collective shoulders if they loose the packet. The least we can expect is a decent service. I don't want to pay extra for guarantees. I don't want 'compensation'. I don't want express handling. I just want them to deliver the packets! Is that too much to ask? Perhaps I should pay them with 'nearly' money, that might, or might not be legal tender. Perhaps I should stand in their queues holding up their other customers deciding if I do, or don't, want to post anything that day.

So, ultimate question is, I suppose, are we prepared to pay extra for a 'guaranteed' delivery of some sort, or pay the current rates and accept the shoddy service and the risk of parcels not turning up?

Sorry, rant over.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com

www.fighting48th.com

March 17th, 2009, 11:16 pm #2

I received one very large order from you almost 2 months ago and it took about a week to get across the pond - it was excellent and so were the products. Robert Lanes figures are very nicely done. Maybe I was lucky.

I have been waiting for a shipment from a German store (that I would love to call out here, but I won't) for a year and a half. I think I was scammed, they probably think that the shipment was lost. Either way they should provide a tracking number so I can at least verify it was sent. When I ask for tracking numbers - no reply. Scam.

Given that experience, I would gladly pay more for insured stuff.

I will also note that I have ordered a lot of stuff from overseas and the incident I discussed above with the German store is the only time I have ever had a problem.

Now if there was only away I could order up some talent and have that delivered, I would be really happy.

Phil

March 18th, 2009, 5:33 am #3

Frankly, I have been very impressed with the postal services for the most part (knock on wood

For example, it takes less than a week to get an airmail package or letter from the UK to Seattle where I live. This perhaps is helped by direct daily flights between LHR and SeaTac airports. But also from New Zealand and Australia to Seattle, a week normally.

I order kits from Hong Kong, and they come via surface mail. Almost to the hour, it takes exactly 8 weeks. But the parcels arrive in good order, and it is CHEAP, which is why I put up with the wait.

Airmail from Japan is very fast as well.

Airmail from France, very good, less than a week from Paris to Seattle.

Gosh, I seem to order an awful lot of stuff! But generally speaking, the service is good, PROVIDED the package is clearly and accurately addressed.

I do note that many of these firms, even the surface shipments from HK, come with "insurance", which the provider charges to me. I see no problem with this, it protects both parties, and as long as the charge isn't exhorbitant, I don't see why I should complain. Why, if the merchant posts the package, is it the merchant's duty to "eat" any loss?

Cheers,
Andrew

March 18th, 2009, 6:57 am #4

Open question to all the forum members; what is your general opinion of the various postal services upon which most of us depend for our hobby supplies?

A bit of a leading question of course, as yet another of my outgoing parcels seems to be taking the scenic route from Sunny Bristol to 'Somewhere in Germany'. Frankly, the rubbish service I seem to be getting from the Post Office and their overseas partners is starting to really get my goat!! Some of you may remember my last model business, PP Models, which ran for over 14 years. During that time, I think we lost about 4 or 5 parcels during the whole time of operations. Now, I've had just as many go astray just in 2009!! and that is less than 3 months!!!! And that is on top of the dozen or so that disappeared in 2008.

Up to now, I've bitten the bullet and sent replacements, but I simply can't go on subsidising our rubbish postal service in this way. So, I either change the type of service I use, to a 'Guaranteed Delivery' or 'Signed on Delivery' type, or change the service to TNT or similar, both of which will require increasing the postal charges.  Or carry on as now, but make it very clear to customers that if there parcel goes astray in the post, it isn't my fault!

Frankly I think this is a dreadful situation. I take my customers money to provide a service, pass that on to the Post Office and they just shrug their collective shoulders if they loose the packet. The least we can expect is a decent service. I don't want to pay extra for guarantees. I don't want 'compensation'. I don't want express handling. I just want them to deliver the packets! Is that too much to ask? Perhaps I should pay them with 'nearly' money, that might, or might not be legal tender. Perhaps I should stand in their queues holding up their other customers deciding if I do, or don't, want to post anything that day.

So, ultimate question is, I suppose, are we prepared to pay extra for a 'guaranteed' delivery of some sort, or pay the current rates and accept the shoddy service and the risk of parcels not turning up?

Sorry, rant over.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com

www.fighting48th.com
Hi Tim,

and once again a big sorry for my mail yesterday. The parcel was arrived as I come home from work !!
I can't correct my mail cause of a provider changing this time. So, I need to wait for today morning to have
a internet connection from my office.
Sorry sorry ! It was a long way for the parcel from England to Germany, but in the end it find the way.

best regards

Erik

March 18th, 2009, 11:52 am #5

Sorry, rant over.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com

www.fighting48th.com
I think my postage service may have lost 2 boxes of kits which were sent from a friend in Germany. I'm trying to find them both now, and I'm worried they may not turn up.
Australia Post lost one item I sent to the UK last year, so I'm not real happy with our postal service right now.
I live in hope it comes soon.
Best thing is to send them insured or able to be tracked definately.
Good luck, all the best, Paul.

March 18th, 2009, 12:49 pm #6

Sorry, rant over.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com

www.fighting48th.com
If the service is good, I do not mind to pay extra shipping cost. N/T

March 18th, 2009, 12:52 pm #7

Hi Tim,

and once again a big sorry for my mail yesterday. The parcel was arrived as I come home from work !!
I can't correct my mail cause of a provider changing this time. So, I need to wait for today morning to have
a internet connection from my office.
Sorry sorry ! It was a long way for the parcel from England to Germany, but in the end it find the way.

best regards

Erik
Hi Erik, please don't apologise, it wasn't your fault at all; you were the victim of the poor service as much as me!! You can see from the parcel stamp when I posted it....

In fact, many thanks for letting me know there was a delay in delivery.

Best wishes, and please enjoy the parts!

Tim

www.fighting48th.com