Pointe du Hoc question...

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Pointe du Hoc question...

December 9th, 2001, 2:06 pm #1

Hello all!

I'm currently planning a dio taking place at Pointe du Hoc, June 6th 1944, with the DML US Ranger (Normandy 1944).

My question is: Wath is the colour of the cliffs in this sector?

I found a x-mas backdrop (mountain) who will do great for the cliff (everything could be use for a dio, no?).

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Rob Plas
Rob Plas

December 10th, 2001, 10:50 am #2

Here,s one picture where you can see the cliffs, on a day with some clouds.
The stone is yellow, the dirt on top is a little more brownish. On a bright sunny day the cliffs look more white specially when the rock is dry.
But as D-day was preformed at a windy, clouded day I'd suggest you keep to the yellow seen in the picture here.
The small pebble beach right below where this picture was taken from has very dark grey, almost black stones.
hth
Rob

Mike Powell
Mike Powell

December 10th, 2001, 11:51 am #3

You get the best color saturation while taking photographs on cloudy days. Bright sunlight will, as Rob mentions, tend to wash out your colors. It will, also, fool your exposure meter. Also, be careful when taking photos in the early morning or late afternoon as colors tend to shift to the red due to the angle of the sunlight passing thru more atmosphere. These tend to be more dramatic photographs, but not for research purposes.

December 11th, 2001, 5:16 pm #4

Kent Brazeau
Kent Brazeau

December 12th, 2001, 12:22 am #5

Hello all!

I'm currently planning a dio taking place at Pointe du Hoc, June 6th 1944, with the DML US Ranger (Normandy 1944).

My question is: Wath is the colour of the cliffs in this sector?

I found a x-mas backdrop (mountain) who will do great for the cliff (everything could be use for a dio, no?).

Thanks in advance!

Fred
The cliffs in the sector of point du hoc are a realitively buff and tanned colour.With a mix of browns and of course greys due to the extremes of the Atlantic shore.I've been to Normandy and have seen the shore lines and all i can say is that if you watch Saving Private Ryan the cliffs there are very similar to the one at Point Du Hoc.