plaster for a base?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

plaster for a base?

Olof Dahlstedt
Olof Dahlstedt

September 7th, 2004, 9:34 pm #1

Can I use some plaster to make a base for my tank model?

I'm thinking of making a frame and filling it with plaster

Add some sand and grass and make some track impressions.

Would it work?

Olof

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

September 8th, 2004, 3:26 am #2

That will work just fine.Add some dirt color water base paint,maybe old tea or coffee to the plaster mix(just in case it chips after curing).
Good to go
Rick

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

September 8th, 2004, 3:52 am #3

n/t
R

Miguel Jimenez
Miguel Jimenez

September 8th, 2004, 8:54 am #4

Would it work?

Olof
Hello

Well, I think that it is not a good idea, because when the plaster is dry off, it is very fragil, and if you paint it....can be easily damged or scratched.

Also, if you add the plaster in a wood base, the humity can curve the wood.

Also...is not easy to controle.

I recomend you putty as DAS PRONTO, a clean stuff that can be used with your hands, is light...hard, but with the same look as plaster. You can sculp it with accurancy, you can glue over stones, trees....

Try to search it in your hobby shop...is cheap and very popular.

If you apply Das pronto in a wood base....first you can make the volume with POLIFOAM...the general volumes. Then, you can add the das pronto and you will spend less stuff, and the diorama will be lighter.

All the best

MIG

Olof Dahlstedt
Olof Dahlstedt

September 8th, 2004, 9:14 am #5

n/t
R
I don't know why, but I'm often called Olaf here.

But it's ok.

got to finish my model by friday

September 9th, 2004, 8:58 am #6

Would it work?

Olof
While Mig is right about plaster being brittle you can make it more controllable and less prone to chipping by adding white glue (or artists size) and dark acrylic paint to the plaster and mix it quite thick like porridge. If you are using a wood base give it a coat of varnish or acrylic to help prevent it absorbing water from the plaster. If you build up the terrain with Styrofoam and then use the plaster this helps also. The glue slows down the drying time of the plaster so you can take your time.

-Pat

Miguel Jimenez
Miguel Jimenez

September 9th, 2004, 4:09 pm #7