Plaster Buildings- need advice

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Plaster Buildings- need advice

Chris Townend
Chris Townend

April 14th, 2005, 7:28 am #1

I have bought a couple of Verlinden plaster buildings and would be grateful for any advice on their construction and finish. The surface detail is weak but I know it is possible to get some excellent results, I just don't know how!
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

April 14th, 2005, 9:34 am #2

You can glue the buildings together with PVA (white) glue; you may need to support them until the glue cures, but the bond will be strong enough for modelling purposes. If the detail is weak, you can fairly easily enhance it with some or another pointed object — a needle, a knife blade, a nail, etc.

The plaster material sucks up paint, so you'll need quite a lot of it and can't really do any wet-on-wet blending or washes. If these are your normal painting techniques, you may want to try and seal the plaster before painting it; I suppose a coat of thinned PVA glue will accomplish that nicely, but I haven't tried it myself.

Tom Herling
Tom Herling

April 14th, 2005, 10:30 am #3

Has anyone ever tried to use latex drywall primer on plaster buildings to seal them up? You know, the kind of primer one uses on walls (the full-size kind, not scale sized) before applying the final coat of paint?

Tom

Ron Perry
Ron Perry

April 14th, 2005, 10:27 pm #4

I have bought a couple of Verlinden plaster buildings and would be grateful for any advice on their construction and finish. The surface detail is weak but I know it is possible to get some excellent results, I just don't know how!
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.
Chris
Plaster can be bonded also by .... plaster and you can fill any cracks with it
as well.
As already stated , you can scratch it with any sharp tool.
Twenty odd years ago I produced a complete house and sold quite a few,
I used Modelling plaster , which is reasonable hard, I casted blocks in a wall
of Lego bricks, and when hard I drew with pencil the shape on the blocks.
Since I wanted a Half-timber house, I cut away about 2 mm of the material
between the beams.
Then I took a rotating tool with a metal brush, and carefully put woodgrain on
the beams and the left door.
I used an electric engraving needle to shape the grey stone wall'
and made a small trowel (1/35) filling in the cavities between the beams,
as if it was done like the real thing would have.
I painted it with "Ecoline" a kind of ink without a sealing layer to show
the influence of the weather over a long periode.
the rest was painted with Tamiya paint.
The result can be seen at http://www.wheelsofvictory.com/index2.html
go down the scroll-bar and use the House button

Hope it helps
Regards
Ron Perry
ron@perry.nl

Andrew Albrecht
Andrew Albrecht

April 19th, 2005, 5:39 pm #5

Has anyone ever tried to use latex drywall primer on plaster buildings to seal them up? You know, the kind of primer one uses on walls (the full-size kind, not scale sized) before applying the final coat of paint?

Tom
works pretty well at sealing plaster.

HTH

June 11th, 2005, 3:22 am #6

Any advice welcome.
Thanks.
I like to paint them with acrylic, let it dry for a couple of days then paint over it with a thinned down coat of dark earth/brown in enamel, then just as that dries wipe it off with emanel thinners. The result is the dark color stays in all the nooks and crannies but leaves the acrylic. It makes for a very dirty/weathered look. One side effect is it goes all shiny so you'd need to coat it with matt coat.