pigment question

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

pigment question

February 1st, 2018, 10:28 am #1

hi all,
it's been a really long time since i've posted anyhting, please forgive me.
could i ask a question about pigments. I've not done many armour models so am a bit of a pigment novice. i've got a couple of dvd's from night vision and ak which are helpful but i can't seem to get an answer to this question.
As far as i can tell you can permanently fix pigments using either enamel or acrylic thinners like tamiya x20a. Please tell me if i'm wrong. but if i spray on a matt varnish at the end to protect everything would it do anyhing to the pigments ie disolve them or whatever.
can anyone help,
Cheers,
Rodders.

February 1st, 2018, 4:10 pm #2

You can use it to your benefit, though. If you have overdone it, a good, heavy, clear coat will greatly reduce the pigment effect. Light, misted on coats are not too bad. Again you an use it to your benefit and add some pigment, seal it, add some more.

You can apply the pigments as a wash, too. And Vallejo et al make pigment fixers. I've also used some art store clear sprays made for sealing chalk and pastel drawings.

For a dusty look with pigments, I have also mixed them with thinned out clear flat and just airbrushed it on the model. You get a nice, permanent, dust layer that way. You can top it off with some loose pigment for a more 3D effect.

DAVID NICKELS