Piece of Mind

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Piece of Mind

September 3rd, 2006, 9:11 pm #1

Dear all!

It's been a long time since I posted something here at ML now. I have reduced my time spent on various forums greatly but thought some pictures of my latest vignette wouldn't hurt?
This vignette presents a Finnish T-34 right after the classic aussult on the junction of Portinhoikka on the Carelian Isthmus, June -44.
My intention was to capture the feeling when the crew, on their way back, took a rest in the bright nordic summer night.
Kit is DML and extras are Fruil-tracks, Eduard barrel, Wiking update (Finnsh kit), Wiking decals and various scratch built bits and pieces. Figures are Victoria Models and Hornet. All painting and weathering was completed with Humbrol, Valejo and oils.

Regards, Ulf

Ps Yes, the spelling should be "Piece", figure out why:-))

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

September 3rd, 2006, 9:47 pm #2

Very beautiful, sir. How did you made those beautiful trees?
Regards from Belgium
Herman

September 3rd, 2006, 11:01 pm #3

Dear all!

It's been a long time since I posted something here at ML now. I have reduced my time spent on various forums greatly but thought some pictures of my latest vignette wouldn't hurt?
This vignette presents a Finnish T-34 right after the classic aussult on the junction of Portinhoikka on the Carelian Isthmus, June -44.
My intention was to capture the feeling when the crew, on their way back, took a rest in the bright nordic summer night.
Kit is DML and extras are Fruil-tracks, Eduard barrel, Wiking update (Finnsh kit), Wiking decals and various scratch built bits and pieces. Figures are Victoria Models and Hornet. All painting and weathering was completed with Humbrol, Valejo and oils.

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Ulf-
Funny, just the other day I was wondering what you were up to. I'm a fan of your stuff, I really liked your KO'd T-34 in AFV Modeller. I really like this piece, though. You really did a great job on the trees and groundwork. Thanks for sharing, you made my day.

Cheers-
Bob M

September 4th, 2006, 12:06 am #4

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi, Johan e-mailed me those photos some days ago, and I must say that it looks fantastic.
The birch trees looks very real, it feels almost like home

Skitbra "V"iorama Uffe
Hoppas man får se den live någon gång,
Kristoffer
Östersund

Ps. den Maiden skivan är ju skitbra

September 4th, 2006, 1:47 am #5

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
A piece of art. I would like to see some closer shots of the figures. You T-34 is just fabulous. Great dio.

Roy

September 4th, 2006, 4:39 am #6

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Very nice dio!
Jan

September 4th, 2006, 8:05 am #7

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Uffe,
your diorama is absolutely fabulous!!! We are so bitter that a Swede makes the best Finnish dios... Too bad you are not coming to Euromilitaire, I would had wanted to see this dio in the flesh.
Pekka N.

September 4th, 2006, 8:11 am #8

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Ulf.
It's a pleasure to my eyes to see this new work from you. The scene captures the idea of rest of the crew, and all the deatils such the branches over the vehicle are spot on!
Cheers.

September 4th, 2006, 8:58 am #9

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Ulf,

really nice dio. I like all of it =) but tell us how you make those trees?
And send more pics, close-up.

Regards Kimmo Siika
Kimmo Siika

September 4th, 2006, 9:29 am #10

Dear all!

Regards, Ulf

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi

Glad you liked it.

The trees and branches are roots from spruce. After making sure they fit in the scenario I trimmed them and builed them for a few minutes and gently scrubbed with a brush to remove dirt etc. Then dry them in the owen. (if you want to move quickly. Now you better take ten deep breaths and open up the first of a number of ABERS "small leafes PE set". Attach with superglue to the roots and canstantly dry fit on the vehicle to make sure it looks natural. When this is done and if you are still in mental good conditions it's time to apply generous coat of Citadell black primer. Airbrush white irrigular, thin in some spots and complete white in others. Then paind the black dots irrigulary with a brush. By now I started to feel like the fellow on the Iron Maiden "Piece of Mind" album....OK, next step was to paint every leaf, both sides, green. When this is done wash the whole thing in oils, brown, black, green. Don't overdu this. Carefully and build it up slowly.
What colours you use depends on what kind of birch you want to copy, they vary a great deal. Look at the real thing.
All in all a extremely tedious job but worth the effort in the end.

Ulf