PE and vinegar question

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

PE and vinegar question

July 10th, 2006, 4:31 pm #1

Awhile back I read somewhere that some people soak PE frets in vinegar prior to using. My question is, what exactly does the vinegar do and for how long should the frets be soaked in it. I am assuming that the vinegar used is the white variety. Thank you in advance.

Mike

July 10th, 2006, 6:25 pm #2

I'm pretty sure vinegar oxidizes the surface so that CA/paint has better adhesion. I can't help with how long but perhaps you can stick an unused bit of fret in some for a few minutes?

HTH

July 10th, 2006, 8:52 pm #3

Awhile back I read somewhere that some people soak PE frets in vinegar prior to using. My question is, what exactly does the vinegar do and for how long should the frets be soaked in it. I am assuming that the vinegar used is the white variety. Thank you in advance.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I' haven’t read the article in question. But vinegar and talcum powder can be use to degrease brass and copper surfaces. It will remove the grease from finger prints and is mostly effective when rubbed and then washed in water...

Regards,

Dany Mc Donald

July 11th, 2006, 4:40 am #4

Mike
Basically the vinegar is a very mild acid and is used to etch the PE to create 'tooth' for the paint to adhere to. It can be also used to clean oxidised PE for the glueing process.
White vinegar is the one to use.

Kevin (Bluey)
"I'm not young enough to know every thing"

July 12th, 2006, 2:00 pm #5

Thanks guys for all of the tips.

Mike