Panzerwaffe 1:20 Paper ID models

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Panzerwaffe 1:20 Paper ID models

May 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm #1

Thanks to those who helped me I.D. a publication that contained the wartime image below. I was hot to find this image because I have managed to acquire three such original models as complete, uncut sheets. The images below show some of the sheets, and it is clear that the KV-1 and KV-2 sheets are identical to those shown in the wartime photo. I have the KV-1, KV-2, and also the Churchill III and will be exploring the reproduction of these items.

Mike

May 29th, 2012, 4:28 pm #2

I had asked about these some time ago and it seems that few if any (at that time) were known to have survived. I am sure there would be interest in reproductions in both the card modelling realm as well as here.
DAVID NICKELS

May 29th, 2012, 5:07 pm #3

Dave,

I have been in the field of militaria collecting for about 25 years. I have seen the occasional wooden model and the porcelain, 1:100 tactical training models made by Goebel, also known for Hummel figurines. I have never run across any of these paper models before.

May 29th, 2012, 5:13 pm #4

Thanks to those who helped me I.D. a publication that contained the wartime image below. I was hot to find this image because I have managed to acquire three such original models as complete, uncut sheets. The images below show some of the sheets, and it is clear that the KV-1 and KV-2 sheets are identical to those shown in the wartime photo. I have the KV-1, KV-2, and also the Churchill III and will be exploring the reproduction of these items.

Mike

I would buy a set just to frame!

May 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm #5

Dave,

I have been in the field of militaria collecting for about 25 years. I have seen the occasional wooden model and the porcelain, 1:100 tactical training models made by Goebel, also known for Hummel figurines. I have never run across any of these paper models before.
Have seen some of the porcelain ones on eBay. There used to be a big wooden Panzer III in an antique shop here that was from WW II vintage but I didn't know if it was an "official" model or something made by a crewman.

I'd buy a set of the paper models.

FYI a lot of card models these days are sold as downloads so the purchaser can print them off himself, etc.
DAVID NICKELS

May 29th, 2012, 6:40 pm #6

Reproduction of these creates a bit of a quandary. The originals each consist of 4 sheets on B3 format (500 x 353 mm). To reproduce them and remain faithful to the originals, they need to be on B3 media. This is not a common paper in the U.S. In addition, the sheer size at 1:20th scale prevents them from being put on the nearest U.S. size (13 X 19 inches) without changing the scale because there is not enough excess at the margins to crop them down to fit.
Last edited by baskette on May 29th, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm #7

I would buy a set just to frame!
....and our high-speed colour Xerox IGen printers can print a maximum size of 20.5 x 14.33 inches. Also, Xerox can supply 188lb paper at this size....this feels like a very heavy cardstock.

Just saying that the printers already exist in North America that can achieve that size.

Ken
Last edited by Ken_Kolenovsky on May 29th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 7:28 pm #8

The actual printing is not the problem, just about any graphics print shop can print them. As I am looking to remain true to the originals, 188lb is probably not the right media. I am looking for something of art/archival quality in 24 to 32lb. This media, at least by my efforts, is not something you can easily just go buy in B3 size. Any help in locating what I am after, in the United States, would be most appreciated.

Mike

May 29th, 2012, 7:52 pm #9

...in your previous post you had mentioned that only 13 x 19 was a maximum North American size you were dealing with. If it is art/archival quality you are looking for, you would have to get folio size sheets (large size sheets a printer deals with and then could cut down to your size) and print. One of the dealers we do business with is Coast Papers. They have an Expression Writing FSC paper in 24lb which is laser & ink jet guaranteed as well as acid-free.

That is just one, and probably the most economical.

The one sticking point you may have is the scanning of said B3 sheets as I would assume you do not want to be letting those originals out of your hands.

Ken

May 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm #10

Reproduction of these creates a bit of a quandary. The originals each consist of 4 sheets on B3 format (500 x 353 mm). To reproduce them and remain faithful to the originals, they need to be on B3 media. This is not a common paper in the U.S. In addition, the sheer size at 1:20th scale prevents them from being put on the nearest U.S. size (13 X 19 inches) without changing the scale because there is not enough excess at the margins to crop them down to fit.
Some of the card model forums like www.papermodelers.com (very good) or card model dealers like Ecardmodels.com about assistance with the reproductions. There are many large card models available on the market these days. I am sure someone at the forums on pm.com could help you out
DAVID NICKELS