Panzer IV Ausf D WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Panzer IV Ausf D WIP

August 22nd, 2012, 11:30 am #1

G'Day Guys

Its been a while since I've shared anything on ML.

This is my current project. It is DML's Pz IV Ausf D. Great kit with great detail, its just a bugger to build and the instruction I think were written by a blind man!

I am building a vehicle 6th Panzer Division based on pictures and info from Craig Ellis'(or Mr 8 Wheels-Good) Barbarossa Stowage book which is part of his excellent PzKpfw IV at the Front series of books.

First of are a few pictures of the model before painting

Next few shots are progress on the lower hull. Painting and weathering are now about 90% complete

Next few shots are of progress work on the turret. Still a way to go on this as you can see compared to the hull

Finally a few shots of the figures. These are almost done but figure painting isn't my strong suit.

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris

August 22nd, 2012, 12:53 pm #2

I think gray Panzers are up there with olive drab vehicles as the hardest models to make look interesting Chris, but you managed to pull it off with this one. Looking forward to seeing her finished.
Regard's, Dave.

August 22nd, 2012, 4:38 pm #3

G'Day Guys

This is my current project. It is DML's Pz IV Ausf D. Great kit with great detail, its just a bugger to build and the instruction I think were written by a blind man!

I am building a vehicle 6th Panzer Division based on pictures and info from Craig Ellis'(or Mr 8 Wheels-Good) Barbarossa Stowage book which is part of his excellent PzKpfw IV at the Front series of books.

Next few shots are progress on the lower hull. Painting and weathering are now about 90% complete

Next few shots are of progress work on the turret. Still a way to go on this as you can see compared to the hull

Finally a few shots of the figures. These are almost done but figure painting isn't my strong suit.

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
looking real good i gues the turret need a bit of dust too .

greetings Detlev

http://panzer-modell.de.tl/

August 22nd, 2012, 7:55 pm #4

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
Looks great, and the figures are outstanding...maybe the short exhaust pipe needs to be drilled out a bit deeper - in the photo it looks plugged.

August 22nd, 2012, 8:07 pm #5

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
Chris-- great job! What brand and color did you use on the tank itself and also the uniforms? Good job.
Thanks
Dave
D J Judge

August 22nd, 2012, 11:26 pm #6

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
Figures are fantastic!!!!
In your inprogress pics, on right side the second from back return roller looks out of alignment with others. Other than that bravO!!!!!

August 23rd, 2012, 12:53 pm #7

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
Panzer looks great!
What colour did you use for panzer gray?

best regards
Krzysztof
Last edited by Krzysztof_Wisniewski on August 23rd, 2012, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 23rd, 2012, 2:01 pm #8

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
superbly done as well as the over all look of the tank. I think you are too modest about your figure painting though,
J

August 25th, 2012, 9:19 pm #9

Happy to have supplied some inspiration for an early war PzIV. Great finish so far Chris, which really captures the feeling of Barbarossa vehicles.
Two very minor comments; drilling out the vertical slot on the turret signal pot would make a big difference to it, the seem along the edge of the turret bin shouldn't be there as it is a reference point for fitting it to Ausf Es.

Craig (8wheels-good)
http://barbaross4stuff.blogspot.co.uk/

Craig (8wheels-good)
https://www.facebook.com/8wheelsgoodPzIVarchive/
http://8wheels-good.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/8wheels-good

August 26th, 2012, 4:47 am #10

G'Day Guys

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Chris
G'day guys

Thankyou all for your comments, it is greatly appreciated.

Some answers especially in regards to the paint.

The base colour was done with Gunze paints. First off I sprayed Gunzer H401 Dark Gray. This is basically the base colour and the "shadow" layer. I then overspray with Gunze H305 Gray FS36118. This is done a light oversray, with a more concentrated colour being applied in the centre areas of panels and flat surfaces.

Thank you for the tips as well. I have looked at the idlers and they do appear to be straight yet I agree they look a little "off" in the pictures. maybe the camera angle is slightly distorting the aspect. I will have a look again when the model is finished and I take some more pictures.

Looks like I will need to get the drill out thanks guys. I will drill out the exhaust as mentioned. Its funny that in the picture the depth of the exhaust doesn't look as deep as when looking with mk 1 eyeball. Craig, I hadn't even looked at the signal port so thankyou for the pickup on that. I will drill it out as well. As for the seam on the stowage bin, I might just have to suck it up with that one as removing that will require a repainting of that area and given I'm reaching the point of just wanting get this done, the thought of repainting doesn't appeal. Might be time to drape a tarp or a flag over the stowage bin!

Cheers

Chris