Panther D-Kursk vintage.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Panther D-Kursk vintage.

May 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm #1

I am about to start building the DML Panther D premium edition and reading my reference it appears that the Panthers at Kursk could have a number of differing configurations. Would there be a loosely standard set of details which would encompass most vehicles used in this campaign?
Also did the Waffen SS use these vehicles in dedicated companies or were the allocations restricted to the 2 Panther battalions and other Heer companies.
I am going to use the MIG cooling fan covers and deck boxes.
With regards to the armour, would it have the same surface imperfections as say a very late Panther G...LIQUID GLUE ON STANDBY.
Cheers Paul
Last edited by PAUL402 on May 8th, 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 4:20 pm #2

Paul, there were only the two Panther Battalions at Kursk, the SS had no Panthers until some time after the battle. Alan

May 8th, 2012, 4:26 pm #3

Thanks Alan. n/t

May 8th, 2012, 7:30 pm #4

I have build this early Panther D version
You can use Panther D Kursk sets from Voyager (sidestorage box, deepwadding and early design air excousts)
MiG early Panther storage sets

May 8th, 2012, 8:54 pm #5

I am about to start building the DML Panther D premium edition and reading my reference it appears that the Panthers at Kursk could have a number of differing configurations. Would there be a loosely standard set of details which would encompass most vehicles used in this campaign?
Also did the Waffen SS use these vehicles in dedicated companies or were the allocations restricted to the 2 Panther battalions and other Heer companies.
I am going to use the MIG cooling fan covers and deck boxes.
With regards to the armour, would it have the same surface imperfections as say a very late Panther G...LIQUID GLUE ON STANDBY.
Cheers Paul
Paul,

Panthers at Kursk where used just in the two Heeres Abteilungen 51 and 52 (numbers from memory...). No SS unit had them at Kursk.

The exact configuration of these vehicles is a bit of an enigma, there seems to be no standard - all the tanks can vary in subtle differences. You need to check photographs of a vehicle you want to replicate, and you may want to get the Panzer Tracts on the Panther D for the general impression on the subject. As I am travelling right now, with no references at hand, here are the more obvious things to check:

- Air intakes on motor deck, the MiG and Voyager sets work equally well (the Voyager one gives you the large side storage box as a further option, but in PE. MiG has a separate resin set of Panther boxes, the side box among them. I personally like this set better).
Saying all that, some Panthers might have carried the later intake version as depicted in the kit, but the earlier one might be the more common. There is no period photo of the motor deck around I am aware of, showing this detail.
- Number of bolts on road wheel rims - 16 or 24 (again, both numbers just from memory).
- Hub cover detail on drive sprocket - the kit includes both versions, one with a side rim and a flat one.
- Rain guards over turret pistol ports, turret communication port, holes for aiming telescope, and turret rear escape hatch. Some tanks had them, some not.
- Tooling configuration, there are a very few tanks with vertical mounting of the C- hooks (descriped in Panzer Tracts, with a sketch) and differences in the mounting of the wire cutter, hammer, and fire extinguisher.
- Location of hand grips on hatches for driver and co-driver (Dragon kit has indications for both positions)
- the right side pistol port sits too low IMHO, and a bit too far back
- the left side pistol port might be too low as well, I don't recall right now. Needs to be checked against scale drawings
- All Dragon Panther kits are slightly off in the position of the rear turret escape hatch, Tiger Models do offer a replacement (but it is not that noticable IMHO)
- Type of travel lock for main gun, there is a 'symetric' (early) and an 'asymetric' (slightly later) style, with the asymetric one included in the kit. This seems to be the more common one anyway.
- Big side storage box on right side of the hull, apparently a common feature but by far not on the majority of tanks?!?
- Two smaller boxes on mounts to the rear of the motor deck, a comparatively rare feature. MiG has a resin set of them.
- The two round covers between the main air intakes on the motor deck (cooling water?) didn't have handles on them (as in the kit), but two straight rods welded onto them. See the Panzer Tracts drawing.
- Extended dust flap over drive sprockets (apparently removed on most tanks)
- large collapsible snorkel cover on motor deck, a feature rarely seen on photographs.

This is all I can remember right now. You can spend hours checking photographs for all these details, and there are only very few tanks photographed from both sides so in most cases you will never know the exact configuration of a particular tank....

Regards from Germany,

Stefan

May 9th, 2012, 11:05 am #6

Lots for me to look into. I have the Mig resin boxes set as well as the Tiger models rear hatch and Ausf D cupola. Also have the WW2 tracks and Mig louvre covers, also just ordered the Artisan Mori resin exhaust stacks.
Many thanks Paul

May 9th, 2012, 11:06 am #7

I have build this early Panther D version
You can use Panther D Kursk sets from Voyager (sidestorage box, deepwadding and early design air excousts)
MiG early Panther storage sets
Many thanks Wolfgang. n/t.

May 9th, 2012, 7:51 pm #8

Lots for me to look into. I have the Mig resin boxes set as well as the Tiger models rear hatch and Ausf D cupola. Also have the WW2 tracks and Mig louvre covers, also just ordered the Artisan Mori resin exhaust stacks.
Many thanks Paul
Paul,

I tried to order those tracks about a year ago from the producer, I got an email back from the owner saying he gave up his business and he didn't ship track sets anymore - would love to get a set for my Panther D....
You are right about the TM cupola and the Artisan Mori set, I got the cupola (and like it a lot) but the Artisan Mori exhausts don't add that much really - I opened up the kit exhaust stacks with a drill bit, thinning out the side wall, and got about the same (free of additional charge) look with that as with the AM set.

Regards from Germany,

Stefan

May 9th, 2012, 10:34 pm #9

nt

May 10th, 2012, 12:01 am #10

I forget which one. Hobby Search or Hobby Easy? was an Asian site. I was looking for something else and came across them by chance.
DAVID NICKELS